My friend seems confused a little as she asks, "So, you've been painting together?" She faces Liam, who looks as stoic as always.

"Yes. Peter and Julian were here, too, but they left a few minutes ago," he answers.

Maybe only I can detect the fluctuations in his emotions as I'm slowly getting a hang of this man's special ability. He's a bit exhausted from this interrogation.

"I think I need to eat. I did my part and . . . I guess I should leave you two alone," I state, trying to dissolve any tension that's about to crop up between the three of us.

I believe Sam isn't too gullible not to sense something. And I subconsciously wish she could gather even a slight bit of my interests toward Liam, or his toward me.

"You tried," Liam remarks. His smile is so vivid that Sam is probably more confused with the whole thing.

Without wasting time with him, I turn to Sam. "I'm going to eat . . . and maybe take a bath. You can try painting if you want. It's kind of fun." I hand her the brush.

"Huh?" Sam takes a brush like a thunderstruck bunny, completely astounded.

How can I ever make her see what's going on? I want her to know but I don't think I can open my mouth to enlighten her. Oh God, this is so hard.

"Good day, Ms. Jones." Liam looks at me shortly as I dive under the fence.

"Good day," I return with a tight smile and walk away.

"Um . . . let's do it," Sam states jubilantly.

After a short pause I hear Liam saying. "I can finish what's left, Samantha. You don't have to—"

"Come on!" Sam laments. "You let Kira do it, but not me?"

My heart shrinks, and deeply I swallow my saliva through a tight gulp.

"Alright." Liam sounds mirthless.

Feeling bereft, I turn around. My gaze collides with Liam's, who's apparently staring at me, and I see Sam leading the way toward the barn. I avert my gaze, as waves of sadness overwhelm me. It's like a feeling of letting go of something very precious just when you need it the most.

I breathe out deeply and tell myself that it's all okay. It has to be.

The day goes on uneventfully. I spend my afternoon locked up inside the library, reading whatever I see fit. Aside from the scent of books—both new and old—it's the scent of Liam that I gather perfectly well given that he's the only person who visits this place.

I smile gently, huddling in the large chair he constantly uses. An old copy of Danielle Steel's Heartbeat keeping me company from here onward, but I can't put my mind off the fact that Sam and Liam are together right now.

As the sun jogs toward the West, I take a quick shower. The water fills my body with ease, going against my jumbled mind that can't seem to grant me some reprieve. Quite unbidden, my head returns to the several minutes I was with Liam in the barn.

"Oh, Kira, stop it," I breathe, tipping my head back as I rub my neck smoothly at the feel of his kisses all over my skin.

No, I shouldn't entertain this. I speed up the shower and exit the bathroom with a wrap of the towel around my body. At the same moment my phone vibrates. I reach for it unhurriedly, catching a deep breath.

"Malik." My smile returns at the caller's ID. I swipe the receiver while sitting down on the bed. "What?" I snap with a hidden chuckle.

"Easy there, Professor," Malik responds in that famous mischief of his. "I know you're missing me terribly, but you don't have to be mad, okay?"