Chapter 5: five days left

I wake up to see 100 messages all from Heather. I don't even look at them and I remember today's cheer try outs. Ugh! I moan. I suck at cheerleading, but thanks to my wish I'm probably good at that too.

Although, I'd love to enjoy being Maddie, I can't enjoy it knowing soon there won't be a Maddie. I put a navy cropped cheer top and white mini skirt. It was a freezing Saturday, but hey pretty hurts.

I run down the stairs and my mom doesn't even notice. I get a ride from Clara and we drive to school. It felt really weird going back there, but it's my fault for agreeing.

I look around and everyone stares. Whispers go around and they give me those huge puppy dog eyes like, "woah what's that pop star doing in our school?"

I can't help but notice that they're whispering about Maddie, and not the usual good stuff. They're basically harassing her behind her back if that makes any sense. I feel so despicable not being able to do anything, and before I know it its my turn to try out.

Magic! That's the word. I do a bunch of flips and tricks and my routine is flawless. I didn't even think. My body moved without much thought, and control. I wonder if the ghost was doing that. I sit next to Heather who gives me a gigantic hug.

"You were outstanding. If you don't get the spot I will hurl!" She says giggling and I smile.

---------------------------------------------
I say a little after everybody's left, and I see Maddie cleaning up the floors.

"Maddie what are you doing here?"

"The only job they'd allow a 15 year old orphan." She responds sighing.

"Why don't I help you?" I ask.

"Really you'd do that?"

"Sure!" I replied, feeling a little guilty that I like the new Maddie better. She's like the best friend I never had, and I miss that.

"Hey I've been thinking a lot, and I know you don't remember, but try to at least acknowledge that I'm your sister." I say sweeping the floors.

"I guess you're really serious because you keep saying that repetitively." It kills me inside that she has not a single memory of all our good times.

"I truly am."

"Wait. No never mind that was Miranda. How about... No that was Julie." She said angrily.

"It's okay." I respond putting my broom away and going home. May be I didn't just trade lives with Maddie, I created a poor orphan, who is worse than I've ever been. What have I done?