Chapter 27

I had about twenty seconds to brace myself for Madoc's charge. It was not enough to perfectly block it. I had jumped up and stepped away from Lord Roiben while raising Nightfell. I was still in the movement of raising the blade when it collided with Madoc's. I swayed under the impact. My hands trembled as I looked up to face my foster father. His eyes burned with hate. I wonder it he would truly cut me to pieces this time. "You've gone to far Jude." He snarled than angled his blade. I was forced to jump out of the way retreating a view steps. "No. You reached to high yourself. And taught me to do the same."

"You are what I made you, Jude. But you will never be as good as I am."

With that he charged me with a furious series of blows. I block them all and swiftly side step him. I swing my blade to attack him from the side. He deflects it like he would an annoying fly. We circle each other for a moment before he strikes again. My arms buckle under the impact. I dug and strike low. He merely steps out of range. My breathing becomes rapid. This is a fight I can not win. We both know it. I glance at the door behind the throne. If Cardan takes any longer it will be to late. Metal flashes and I drop to the floor to avoid the attack aimed for my head. I look up in time to see the blade coming down on me. I roll but the blade cuts my side anyways. I let out a scream or a moan as I continue to roll. Faster, faster. I need to be faster. I struggle to my feet the world still spinning. I can make out Madoc as he rushes me. Is his blade coming from the left or right? I narrow my eyes trying to focus while holding my blade high. As my vision sharpens I can make out the way his blade will strike. Leaving his stomach open. If I dug and strike he will be forced to sidestep or back off. My knees give way for the fast dug when I hear a voice call out.

"That's enough."

I ignore it. I drop to the floor and strike true. My eyes going wide when I realise that Madoc does not step aside nor back off. My blade pierces him right in the center of his body. I strike no bones or anything. The blade passes through to easily. I freeze in the moment. Staring at where my blade has struck. The blood starting to stain his black jacket even darker, then drip to the floor. With trembling hands I released the blade and took a step back. I could not stop staring at the wound I had not expected nor intended to make. Only when Madoc's sword hit the floor did I look at his face. Utter surprise was what I saw there. He had not seen this coming either. Surprise turned into a bitter smile. He held my gaze as he took hold of my blade and tore it from his body. I backed away a step by instinct. Something like sadness flickered in his eyes. His lips parted. It took him a view guttural rasps to form words. "I always- wondered... if it would end like this." I simply stared incapable to form thoughts or words. "His blade. By your hand." I blinked. Clarity settling in my the mention of my real father. Madoc collapsed to the ground. There were a view more guttural breaths. Then silence. I stared and stared at the body of the man that had raised me. He taught me so much and yet not enough. The man I had hated for so long yet also loved. I felt sadness, I felt anger, loss, despair. I could hear someone whipping. Voices too. The sound of blades drawn. Footsteps. Yet I could not look away from the body. I watched as the blood spread on the cold stones. As it reached Nightfell and drowned the blade slowly. I flinched as a hand touched my shoulder. I turned to find black eyes staring intently at me. "You are hurt." Cardan's words were gently as if he was trying to calm an animal. At first I didn't know what he meant until the searing pain in my side hit me. My legs shook but before they could give way Cardan put an arm around me for support. I leaned on him taking in the rest of this scene. The soldiers had knelt before the throne. Swords drawn and in their hands. Offering them to their high king. Oak stood next to the throne. Holding onto it's side for support. Tears streamed down his face as he looked at us. Orianna standing behind him, sobbing with her hands covering her face. I had never know she had cared about Madoc at all. In the end I closed my eyes to shut out everything.