Chapter 6

Vivi helped me pick out a new dress for my first day back to Faerie court. She even helped me with my hair and showed my a view new ways to do it like Taryn's. Now I wore a green dress with silver swirls all over it. My hair was a half braid crown, the rest of my hair was down. I wore the earrings that were her wedding present. And when I looked into the mirror I saw Taryn staring back at me. It was quite unnerving. "You look perfect." Vivi told me. I practiced Taryn's face expressions in the mirror. They weren't to hard. The hard thing would be taking the step back into the shadows. The loss of power still bothered me. So I said quick goodbyes to Vivi as we split paths in the main hall. Vivi left through the gates and I went into the kitchen. In the kitchen were two female fae making breakfast. The one with the green skin and red hair looked at me. "My lady." She gave me a bow. "Breakfast will be ready shortly." I gave her a broad smile. "Good, I am very hungry." "My lady can wait in the dining room." I nodded and left the room. Trailing my way back to the room I had been in just an hour ago, I noticed more live in the estate. Servants rushing around doing their chores. More eyes around then I thought. I would find a way to deal with that. In the dining room the table had not been set yet. So I decided to do it myself. I was just arranging the forks and knives when the door opened and closed behind me. I turned to see Locke approaching me. "Good morning wife." My hand tightens on the knife. I want nothing more then to stab him between his ribs with it. But I force myself to smile. "Good morning husband." I said sweetly. As he stopped in front of me his hand brushed my cheek and he leaned into me. My heart stopped. I don't want to kiss him. I can't. So I turn my face slightly and kiss his cheek instead. "Have you slept well?" I ask him. He looks a bit surprised but smiles. "Yes, I have." At that moment servants enter and but the food on the table. I quickly take my seat and Locke takes his seat next to mine. "Are you ready for another day at court?" He asks me. "Yes." I tell him. He raises an eyebrow. "Really? I thought you hated it." I want to kick myself. Of course Taryn hates it, Locke is Master of Revels. "Well-" I start. "I know you love it, so I am willing to try to find some joy in it myself." I state. A fox's smile grazes his face. I stab my strawberry a bit to harshly and my fork scrapes over my plate. He blinks opening his mouth to say something. But I decide to put the strawberry fast into my mouth and slowly pull the fork back out all the while holding his gaze. He swallows. A hungry creeps into his eyes I know all to well. It was made my heart beat faster. Now it makes my blood run cold. "Got any nice parties planned for our king?" I ask while I clean the strawberry juice from the corners of my mouth with a finger then lick it clean. I feel disgusted with myself. But Locke seems to eat me with his eyes. "Well... I might have some great parties planned in the near future." He puts down his fork and knife to take my face in both his hands. I suppress the urge to push him away. He leans in to kiss me again. I put my finger on his lips and give him a playful smile. "Tonight." I whisper. Need sparks in his eyes and I see he wants to disagree with me as I add: "Can't keep the king waiting for his Master of Revels." Reluctant he releases me. "True. But tonight dear wife, I am going to make love to you so good you won't even know what hit you." His voice is sensual but it feels like a bucket of ice to me. Right, when I am done with him, he won't know what hit him. I tilt my head slightly giving him my best seductive smile. "I can't wait." I purr. "Shall we get this day over with then?" He stands helping my up with a grin on his face. "We shall."

Every inch of me is on high alert as we enter the palace. I walk at Locke's side into the throne room. There is music and dancing going on around the room. Some drinking and eating in a corner. I scan the room taking in the faces. I avoid looking at the throne at the end of the room. I don't want to see just yet if he is sitting on it. Locke leads me straight for it however. I feel sick with every step closer to it. And I know I can't keep avoiding it. So I take a deep breath and look at the throne. And almost stumble over my own feet. Cardan sits in his throne looking at Nicasia. Who is sitting on the side of his throne scandalously feeding him cherries. Anger boils up inside me and I push it down hard. I can't show any of these feelings. As Locke and I stop at the bottom of the stairs to the throne, Cardan finally notices us. His gaze goes to Locke. "Ah, my Master of Revels has arrived." Locke bows and I follow suit. "My king." He says. Cardan waves Locke over. "Come, we have quite some things to discuss." He turns to Nicasia. "Nicasia my dear, you can keep Taryn company." Nicasia seems to want to tell him exactly what she thinks of his idea. And I hope she does. Instead she gives Cardan a wink. "If it pleases the king." Cardan smirks at her. "It would indeed please me." Bile rises in my throat. But I smile as Nicasia approaches me. She motions me to follow her, so I do. When we have reached the side of room she stops and turns to me. Her sweet smile gone. "Listen. I don't have time for you. So you do what we agreed on we can both have a good time here." Shit. Taryn hadn't told me anything about a deal with Nicasia. What had they agreed on I wonder. So I just tilt my head and rise my eyebrow. Hoping she'll think I'm just that stupid of a human and she will explain again what it is we agreed on. She sighs. "You staying out of any trouble and not sneaking around." I lower my eyes in submission. "Yes, of course Nicasia." "Wonderful." And with that Nicasia disappears into the crowd. So far everything went really well. I glance at Cardan and Locke. He hadn't even once looked at me. Well I was Taryn right now. The one that cost him his head of war and half his armies. But the image of Nicasia feeding him the cherries. I bite the inside of my cheek. Not worth if. Not yet anyway. I needed to get information now. I scanned the room again. No sign of Lord Roiben. Pity, he had been on the top list of people who might actually help her. No matter she could always get the information herself. Staying at the outside of the whole room she crosses it back to the door leaving the throne room without notice. She makes her way through the palace. Cardan's bedroom would probably be guarded. His study would not. As she put her hands on the door knob a voice from behind her froze her in place. "I wouldn't do that if I was you." I slowly turned to see the Roach standing in the shadows behind me. I force an innocent smile. "I'm sorry, I am a little lost." I slide my hair around my finger stepping from one foot on the other. The Roach watches me. His eyes search for any indication that I am lying. I nit my hands together tugging on my bracelet. All nerves trades Taryn has. "The way back to the party is that way." He finally says pointing me back into the direction I came from. "Y-yes. Thank you." I say giving him a small smile. Before quickly walking away. That certainly didn't go as planned. I knew I had his attention now so I returned to the party without any other strays. At the party again I found myself a chair in a corner and sat down. I needed to come up with a better plan. It seems the court of Shadows would be a problem for me now. I stayed in my chair the rest of the night watching and observing. I tried not to glance at the throne too much. But I caught myself a view times watching Cardan and Locke from a distance. This was going to be a lot harder than I thought.