Chapter 21

A messenger came later that day. With a message from Madoc to surrender and meet him at Elfheim palace. Following this message where long discussions. We all agreed to set out for Elfheim palace in the morning. The plan would remain to agree to crown Oak high king and then to have Oak declare Cardan and me regent. Lord Roiben would raise Oak for the next year and then Oak would stay at the palace with me and Cardan. Madoc would be put in his place with Vivienne to watch him. Everything seemed to be very well planned. Except for the part where I had bargained myself a crown of immortality from Grimsen. I had told no one of course about this deal. Not even Cardan who's life mine would be tied to. My need for power could set me against my family, my goals. I paced my room like a caged animal for hours now. Guilt nagged at me. Guilty of the things I could do, Guilt of the things I had already done. Oak's blinding trust in me and my decisions to keep him safe. I had kept him safe until now. Until he was the one standing between me and the bloodcrown-of power. Was there a way to obtain both? There had to be and I needed to find it before our way to the palace.

If I could convince Oak to keep me as Queen regent or perhaps as princess, so I could keep the bloodcrown, it could work. But would my live be tied to Cardan or to the bloodcrown that would be Oak's by then. I had no idea. But it was worth a shot. With that in mind I entered into a restless sleep.

The next day we rode to the palace. Cardan and his guards riding ahead of me. I was riding in the middle. Oak and Vivi besides me, Eldar was riding next to Vivi. Lord Roiben, Grimsen and his guards behind us. The silence hanging over us was a heavy one. When we reached the gate Cardan turned in his saddle to look at me. His expression betrayed his fear. I swallowed hard as I turned to Vivi. "Watch your surroundings, trust no one." Vivi give me a nod. "You do the same." I gave her a grim smile as I urge my horse forward to move in next to Cardan. My place as his Queen by his side. I would need to look like the Queen of Fairy. As we passed through the invisible wall we entered the courtyard. There were guards everywhere. Bows aimed at us and hands on blade hilts. Cardan spoke before I could. "I am your high king and I am here to meet with General Madoc peacefully." One of the guards stepped forward. "This way your Majesty." We dismounted handing our horses to stable hands as we made to follow the guard. More guards stepped in besides us. No doubt to keep us in check should we do something stupid. We were lead to the throne room. Most of the court was assembled there. Madoc was standing on the dais next to the throne. His golden eyes sparked with triumph as he beheld us. "Vivienne, Jude, Oak it's a relieve to see you have been well." When none of us saw fit to reply he turned his attention on Cardan. "Your majesty, I'm glad you have accepted my offer to talk peacefully." Cardan gave Madoc a cruel smile. "When someone dares to invade my palace I do take that very personal. So I came in person to see to this problem."

"Given all the problems your rule has brought to Fairy-I and my allies- found it time for you to retire, giving your crown to my son Oak." Cardan made a show of seeming surprised by this offer. He turned to Oak brows raised. "You want to replace me with a child?" Oak held Cardan's gaze unyielding. In that moment Orianna stepped out of the crowd. She looked rather pale as she beheld Oak. Oak however did not look at her. "We want to replace you with the promise of something better." Madoc's eyes were on mine when he said that. This was personal and I knew it. I had outplayed Madoc before and his pride would not allow him to yield to me. The guards around us took hold of their weapons. Not yet drawing them, but a promise of violence if we refused. I slide my eyes over the rest of the court. I doubted any one of them really cared who wore the crown. But they certainly loved the entertainment. "So you are asking the high king to just take of his crown and give it to Oak? Without telling us your plans for The king once he is only a prince again." The tension in the room went thought. Madoc's face yielded nothing. A blank mask that hid his plans and emotions from the world. "Prince Cardan will receive the pardon he would give me." Cardan stiffened next to me. No doubt death then. Death for the betrayal that could and would cost Cardan his life if our plan failed. Cardan's eyes met mine for the briefest of moments, as if drawing strength from my presence. He held his head high as he turned back to Madoc. "What about my wife?" Whispers filled the room. Madoc blinked the only sign of surprise he would show. "We were not aware you had a wife." Cardan motioned to me. "Jude Duarte is my wife and my Queen." The whispers where louder now and I slide my eyes over the crowd seeing who spoke against me. I would find my enemies here and now when they thought I was still nothing. Madoc says nothing for a long while. "Jude is my daughter and will be treated as such until the day she dies." My eyes flicked to Madoc. His words struck some cord in me. Some foolish emotion I felt for my foster father. The murder of my parents. General of war. He was not forgiving me I knew. He would lock me up in his estate like he had done before until he seemed it fit to release me. I would not let him. Cardan's voice shook lightly as he spoke. "Very well then." He looks at the gathered crowd. "I have been your King for only a short amount of time." He begins. "But today I will take leave of the crown, leave of you, and take back my former title of prince." The crowd is silent as they listen. "Another will stand in my place. I ask of you, release me."

"We release you." The crowd responds. Cardan takes of his robe of state and drops it to the floor. It crumbles on the floor like dying leaves. "In my place I put Oak, son of Dain." Oak steps forward looking a bit uncertain. Cardan reaches up to lift the crown of his brow. He glances at it for a moment before placing the crown on Oak's head. The crown is to big for Oak and slides down to his eyebrows. From the corner of my eye I make out Madoc moving toward us. "I crown you. King. High King of Faerie." Cardan says. Lord Roiben is again the first to sink to his knees. "My King." The rest of the court follows, as do I. Cardan kneels as well. It's when I catch his panicked eyes that fear grips me. He is looking at something behind me. Too late I hear the footsteps. I jump to my feet hand my hand on my blade when a knife is pressed against my throat. A strong arm pulls me against a broad chest. My blood turns to ice when I hear a familiar voice whisper in my ear. "I have been dying to catch up with you, Jude." The fear on my face must have been apparent. As Cardan rose to his feet as well hands raised. "You don't want to do this Locke." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~