Chapter 65 - A Novel Approach

Start from the beginning

I feel him lay his head on top of mine, reassuring softly as he grips me tighter "I'm okay, Adds."

Sliding my hands up his back to return the hug, I grip his shirt into my fists as I breathe in deeply against his chest letting his teakwood and all him scent calm me

I pull back slightly, keeping our hands around each other as I connect my eyes with his "Okay but something happened... I didn't feel like that for no– what happened in the Library Sty?"

He tries to rein in his emotions, however I see it all cross over his features before he shakes his head, stuttering out "I didn't– nothin– nothing happened in the– in the library."

"Stiles–" I try softly, however he doesn't miss a beat.

Stepping away from me quickly he begins to pace in the space in front of me "You shouldn't be here Adds– seriously you should be at the hospital or resting somewhere."

"Stiles you know you can talk to me about anything–"

He takes a moment to look at me again, softening his features to agree "I know– I know that"

I step up towards him, closing the gap he created and soften my face as I reach up and gently lay my hand against his cheek "Good, so then talk to me Sty."

Stiles closes his eyes and leans into my touch, releasing a shaky breath as he lifts his hand to lay on top of mine "I don't know how to talk to you about this."

He slowly opens his eyes and the fear I see flashing in them is suffocating.

"Because you don't think I'll understand or because you don't think I'll believe you?"

"Both" his broken whispered voice echoes around us and I swallow thickly before licking my lips "Stiles whatever happened, I know you did everything in your power to avoid it. I don't care what it is– I will always believe you."

Stiles looks like he wants to believe me, however he still shakes his head as he implores softly "How can you say that so confidently when you don't even know what it is yet."

I shrug and attempt to smile at him "Because I know you"

Stiles makes a noise in the back of his throat, a mix between a gasp and a hiccup of a sob.

Tears are threatening to spill over his eyes and I wish more than anything I could take everything he looks to be feeling away for him.

He grasps my hand still resting on his cheek a little harder, almost like he's anchoring himself to the moment, before he removes my hand and kisses my palm.

Settling our joined hands in between us, he grasps my hand in both of his "I uh– I fell asleep in the library during the bestiary search"

I don't move even though I want to nod with his words, afraid I will break his courage to tell me what happened.

He clears his throat and continues "When I woke up, I saw what time it was and packed up. I was in the middle of texting you that I was on my way to you when I got to the jeep. I was going to finish the message to you after starting it up and getting the heat going– only it didn't start."

He shifts on his feet, moving his thumbs against the back of my hands before he continues "I was trying to tape up another part when this excruciating pain like a million tiny saws were slicing through my shoulder hit me out of fucking no where."

My body tenses and I flick my eyes from his face to his shoulder quickly, connecting my gaze with his when he elaborates "they were behind me and their hand had some hole in the palm with razor sharp teeth that they were trying to connect with me again. I ended up head butting them and they released me, I reached forward and grabbed a wrench that was on the side of the open hood. When I turned around swinging, I saw it was Donovan before the wrench connected with his jaw."