You noticed the strange stares as you passed by.  Most of them were directed towards ratchet.

It was understandable though. But it didn't make you any less uneasy. 

Ratchet noticed this when you gripped his arm tighter and pulled yourself closer to him. 

You then began to hear the hushed whispers when you passed. You wanted to train your eyes at the ground but you had to look forward. For yours and ratchets sake. 

You didn't even notice ratchet leaning over towards you till he whispered in your ear. 

"Don't worry so much.  They're not saying anything bad."

You jumped but them realized what he told you. 

You quietly observed what they were chattering about to hear them marveling about ratchets appearance.

You started to feel a little proud in a way until you heard a couple of young girls; whispering of what you might be. 

You tried to give them no mind and to show you weren't listening to them. 

"look at the age difference." "I bet she's using him." "Who wouldn't want to jump at the chance to be with a guy like him." "OMG but he's so much older than her how embarrassing!" "He has to be her sugar daddy!"

You couldn't help your face from becoming flushed.  You bit your lip in frustration as you passed them; hearing their laughter.

Just as your backs were to them you could no longer contain yourself and was about to whip around till ratchet put an arm on your shoulder. 

Ratchet then turned to face them and cleared his voice. 

"She and I being seen together isn't your concern and neither of our status together. But I can assure you it's nothing of what you are thinking. Now if you would excuse us please mind your own business."

You were shocked.  Your jaw dropped just as far as theirs. With that ratchet huffed and turned around; linking your arm with his own and continuing in the direction of the craft store. 

"That was amazing" you breathed.  "Nobody has ever stood up for me like that before!"

Ratchet scoffed "I wasn't going to let them treat you like that. Especially with everything that you've been through."

You blushed a bit. "Thanks ratchet."

You approached the shop and ratchet opened the door for you and  let you enter first. 

"My what a gentleman." you teased as you walked past him. 

Ratchet tried not to roll his eyes.  

You immediately scanned the area of the shop.  It wasn't big by any means. Nothing like the giant stores they had back in the rural area you lived in. It was small like a store in a strip mall. You walked around and glanced at their selection. You trained your eyes to try to look for some more pencils or another book. 

You felt ratchet tap your shoulder.

As you glanced up you noticed a guy in a apron approach you.  

You stood up straighter as he politely asked if you needed help with anything. 

You froze for a second. Your anxiety starting to crawl up your throat.  "I'm good. Thank you though" you told him politely with false ease. 

He told you to ask if you needed anything and turned to leave. As he made his way back to the counter you released a breath you didn't know you were holding.