VIII.The reason why you look before you run.

Start from the beginning

"Woah, I got you." He spoke, more to himself. He hoisted her back up to her good foot and saw the others walking a few steps ahead, not even noticing Carter's sudden fall. With a deep sigh, Bellamy steadied her and once he was sure she hadn't hurt herself even more, they continued walking.

"Thanks." Carter muttered somewhat sheepishly her cheeks warmed under her embarrassment. Neither her or Bellamy said anything more as he held her and she gripped onto his shoulder.

                         ***

By the time they reached camp, nightfall had fallen upon the group and Carter was drifting in and out of consciousness even more. Clarke's legs almost buckled under the weight of her friend but she didn't complain, she only grew more concerned. All of them, aside from Murphy, helped carry Carter and Jasper back to camp-- due to Jasper being heavier and completely out for the count, it took two of them to carry him-- some found it easier than others but none of them voiced any complaints.

"They're back!" A voice shouted as they walked through the entry of the camp.

Monty ran up to the small rescue party and looked at the slumped body of his best friend,  "Is he..."

"He's alive," Clarke confirmed. "We need oil, water and bits of cloth for bandages."

"And what about her?" Monty's brows furrowed as he looked at Carter, who was leaning against Clarke. "Is she okay?"

"She's lost a lot of blood, but she should be fine." Clarke nodded.

She watched as Murphy and Bellamy uncovered the animal in the parachute and the Hundred cheered loudly, hunger glistened in their eyes. "Who's hungry?!" His voice boomed and the kids cheered louder. His eyes fell on Clarke and Carter's figures, the latter being unconscious, and his smile faltered.

Clarke shook her head slightly in disappointment before she disappeared into the drop ship, leaving Monty to get the equipment she asked him to get.

In the drop ship, Clarke set Carter down on one of the make shift beds and she groaned, slowly opening her eyes. "We're back already?" Her voice was hoarse and her eyes were glassy.

"Yeah, you kept passing out on the way back." Clarke smiled weakly, silently assessing Carter's appearance. She was still ghostly white and Clarke noticed as they were walking that her temperature was slowly rising and there was a small film of sweat on her forehead.

Carter noticed the worry written on Clarke's face and sighed, waving her off. "Jasper needs your attention more than me. Go and work your mojo on him, I'll be fi-" Carter stopped abruptly as she felt a queasy feeling rise up her throat. Her eyes widened and she quickly grabbed one of the empty buckets used to collect water before emptying her stomach contents into the bucket. Her body heaved with every gag. After four violent rounds of vomit, she lifted her head towards Clarke. "How is this possible I haven't eaten anything?" Before Clarke had a chance to reply, Carter leaned back over the bucket and vomited again. When she looked back up she forced a lopsided smile. "Okay... okay, Now I'm good."

"No you're not." Clarke argued with a hard mother-like look. "You're in shock."

"I'm fine. I needed that," Carter insisted, pushing the bucket away from her in disgust. "Look, I'm not dying, Jasper is. As soon as he's okay, then you can annoyingly fuss over me. Just please, help Jasper first."

After much internal debate, Clarke nodded her head and began to climb up the ladder where Wells and Finn took Jasper. As soon as Clarke was gone, Carter's face contorted in pain and squeezed her eyes closed as a small groan of pain emitted from her throat. Her entire leg hurt and there was a near unbearable ache that took over her entire foot. Her hands flung up to the dog-tag locket around her neck and she clenched her fingers around it. It served its purpose to take Carter's mind off her leg and to anything else.