8.08

Honestly, it has been hard for her to focus since her conversation with Jon...her emotions like a storm upon her very consciousness, and it overwhelmed her to such a degree that she needed to get away from him. She wonders if he is still in that hallway...and yet, this is hardly the time to ponder on her feelings and emotions when the battlefield itself needs to be prepared.

But perhaps it's still a blessing that the Hound rounds the corner ahead of her, headed in the opposite direction and thus putting them on a crash-course to at least hit shoulders through the small hallway. Meeting his eye, she sees the worry he has for this upcoming battle even as he tries to hide such things from her—and it reminds her that this man could die tonight. And after everything the two of them have been through...Gabrielle has a hard time imagining a world without Sandor Clegane.

And thus, as the man passes her in that hall, she quips, "Hey, don't die."

"Keep the goddamn fire away from me," the man huffs in response, leaving Gabrielle with a lasting grin on her face as she walks nearer the Keep and towards her duties. And while this world has changed much in a decade, and Gabrielle and the Hound have rarely been together—it gives her a sense of peace to know that her relationship with this man will never change. It is comforting to knowing something is absolute when in just a few hours of time, they all might die.

|||||||||||||||||||||||

The wind is basically blowing through his body, now that the sun has set and he has no ale to warm him—just one of many who will need to be at complete attention when the battle begins this night. Yet, Jon still wishes for at least the protection of Winterfell's walls as he stands, shouting commands to the armies of the North who are gathering their weapons from the armory nearby. He has a continual shiver running down his back, and he's long lost the feeling in his toes. But it's important that these men are told their positions for when the Night King arrives.

And yet, as time passes, the constant wave of men becomes but a trickle as Stannis Baratheon departs the door to the Keep and makes his way towards the bastard, Jon Snow. At first, the man thinks it is an allusion—that Stannis cannot mean to address him. And yet, Jon is the only one around as the man comes to stand before him, looking no more amused than usual.

"Jon," the man greets with a nod.

Jon echoes the sentiment, yet wonders all the same at this rare instance in which Stannis is alone, "Stannis. Should you not be with Sans—"

"I am here because I mean to speak to you. Not her," the man interrupts, and Jon acquiesces if only due to the blunt tone that is typical of Stannis's character. Of course, Jon does not take it personally, yet he still wonders how Sansa could possible like this man who possesses no charm. And as such, he proves himself once again as Stannis attacks with, "You've committed perhaps one of the worst crimes a man can commit. Yet, you do nothing."

Jon's eyebrows fall into a deep furrow at the almost anger—if not irritation—on Stannis's face. To what is he referring? As far as Jon can remember, he has done nothing to hurt the armies or his family in the past year to deserve such an expression, and so Jon just weakly mutters, "...What?"

"You betrayed your promised for another woman," Stannis identifies, "and you do nothing to apologize, reconcile. A pious and righteous man as you claim to be would not stand here and let her linger in doubt."

To be clear, Jon is entirely startled by the Baratheon's intention to give him guidance on love and relationships when Jon arguably has more experience with women. He stares at the man with something akin to great shock, and yet, there is an underlying vein of irritation that this 'advice' is exactly opposite to what he was told before. Muttering as much, Jon defends himself, "It was not my intention to. Tyrion—"