8.04

She had realized it earlier that day—in the morning hours spent next to the amber hearth. The stark absence of who should belong within these walls. 

He was all that Daenerys had been warned about as they sailed from Meereen to Dragonstone by the lot of those once loyal to her: Ned, Tyrion, and Varys. The most dangerous man in Westeros. Yet the only danger here was that of a fire-hearted and strong-headed Stark. The whoremonger. Yet, no whores were left in these walls. The man to which Sansa was a prodigy. Yet, only she remained as the force of reckoning. And the man thought to be Gabrielle's father and ally, then turned to bitter enemy in the wake of the War of the Five Kings. And yet, it is she that remains.

Petyr Baelish. Littlefinger. The man who was hated by most had not been seen since her arrival in Winterfell. And she supposed it was even stranger to not have heard from the man whose danger was said to arise from his words and wars. So, Daenerys had asked Varys—a man who should have told her in the first place—but it was only then that the Dragon Queen heard of his execution not two months ago.

An execution ordered by the Lady Sansa Stark of Winterfell and fulfilled by the younger Arya Stark.

And so, for more reasons than evident—Daenerys had called a council to discuss the matter in which a decree had been made and realized. To discuss the ending of Petyr Baelish and take peace in his death, or so she said. But truly, it was Daenerys's chance to put Sansa Stark in her place—to catch the Lady trying to act as a Queen through the dictation of justice. And she supposes there is the added benefit of disturbing the serene state of Gabrielle Baelish—the Dragon Queen not quite understanding how her own actions could have dire consequences.

As thus, in the afternoon hours in which they ought to be preparing for the Long Night and Battle of Winterfell, the majority of the previous council find themselves back in the great hall of Winterfell. This time, however, it is not Sansa but Daenerys who sits high in the middle of the front table, the single judge to this fluke trial as the remainder sit in the gallery below, none looking less pleased than Sansa Stark herself, a strict line to her jaw. Tyrion and Varys—as lost as they've become—sit across from the Stark and Baelish women, the two boding not well when apart and even worse when together. At least Gabrielle looks calm, for certainly the look on Sansa's face predisposes her danger to Daenerys.

"We are here today to discuss the circumstances underlying the choice of the Lady of Winterfell, Sansa Stark, to execute Petyr Baelish via the hand of Arya Stark. The chamber is open to all communication," the Dragon Queen interrupts the anxious thoughts of Tyrion as voices cease and eyes shift upon the white-haired queen above them. But always attempting to dominate this game of thrones, Daenerys offers the first testimony to the man who was once only loyal to her—Ned Stark—as she offers, "Would you like to begin?"

"Yes, my Queen," Ned Stark stands and shifts to address the woman who's proven to be more dangerous than Cersei Lannister—but not Petyr Baelish. "Under the reign as Hand of Robert Baratheon, I came to know Lord Baelish through his role on the council as Master of Coin. I made the early mistake of trusting him with business and the later mistake of trusting him with my life. He betrayed me in his loyalty to Joffrey Baratheon, the newly crowned king, and I was sent to be executed. I was saved by his then-daughter, Gabrielle Baelish, and Lord Varys."

Daenerys nods solemnly at his words, having known of this story for many years, yet she still wonders at the initial naïveté of this man, only saved by the limited goodness of the other spies. She supposes he's learned—and maybe that's why he is still alive.