Secret's Out

two days later I wandered the grounds outside that night. Ember was itching to run so we began to lap the pitch. The wind whipped my face as I shifted mid-bound. Since it was the full moon I let out a howl, then jumped up, landing gracefully, rolling and continued running. It was total bliss. The Blue moon was the one time every year I was completely at ease. Completely free. During the day it was jumpy and agitated, waiting for the next one. I shifted back, then began to spin in circles, laughing. I stayed on the pitch, playing and running and jumping and not caring anymore.

I was totally free.

No worries.

No burdens.

Again, total bliss.

At dawn I ran up to the common room, dressing and racing downstairs. The fourth phase was the best, and it was tomorrow. I would be extremely jumpy and agitated today. A bit too energetic for my own good.

The students who noticed kept a bit of distance. Snape was pushing his tolerance to the breaking point because I kept fidgeting.

Note to self. Don't brew potions at the blue moon.

I was sitting in the common room when Neville hopped in.

Literally hopped

His legs were locked together. Anger flooded me. My emotions were already running sky high.

"Who?" I demanded as I undid the curse. My eyes were almost turning Amber. I'm surprised they didn't.

"Malfoy di- Savanna? Where are you going? Savanna? Please don't do this!" he started pleading. I stalked out of the portrait. Harry, Ron, and Hermione followed. A crowd began to gather from all houses as I stomped up to Malfoy who was hanging around in a corridor with his friends. He ignored me and sneered at Neville.

"Come back for more?" I growled audibly, wild and animalistic. He turned shocked eyes on me. So did everyone else.

"Listen here Malfoy. Don't you ever touch my pack again. Got it?" I demanded, stepping up so I was nose to nose with him.

"Pack" Goyle asked stupidly. malfoy sneered at me.

"Oh look. Poor little orphan defending her friends? They your family now?" he sneered. He was right. I was an orphan. I was defending my friends and they were my family now.

"Hell yes. And you'll learn not to mess with them if you know what's good for you." I snarled. He didn't back away. Now he was challenging my authority.

"Yeah. I bet your old family is glad their gone. They don't have to deal with a Mudblood like you." he sneered. A lot of the slytherins laughed, but I snapped. My irises turned a flaming amber in a blink and he gasped in shock.

"What did you say?" I growled, Ember's snarl mixing with my voice.

"Savanna!" Hermione exclaimed. She knew what was coming.

"Get back!" one of the twins yelled. Everyone backed up about four steps, leaving me facing down Malfoy.

"You dare. they died saving my life you foul little cockroach! Neville is ten times the wizard you'll ever be! And you'd best watch your mouth or you won't just have me to deal with." I growled, my voice low and threatening. He backed up a step, but pulled out his wand. Instinct took over. As angry as i was I couldn't stop what happened. First I screamed, hitting the floor, struggling with ember.

"Savanna! NO!" Harry yelled.

"I can't!" I called back desperately. Then I shifted. It went agonisingly slow, but I knew in reality it was mere heartbeats. I whirled around and lunged at Malfoy, my fangs sinking into his arm. Bone scraped them and I heard his yell of pain.

"Stupefy!" someone yelled. A red light shot past my ear as more spells were shot at me from the crowd. I shook my head, letting go. Th wild fury came out of my gaze as I backed up. the students cornered me against a wall. I whimpered, flattening my ears. Hermione ran forward, placing herself between me and the others. As did harry and the weasleys.

"Don't hurt her!" Hermione shrieked. No one listened. I shifted back. A wave of dizziness crashed over me. I struggled to pull myself to my feet when a gently arm wrapped around me.

"You OK?" Fred asked. I nodded slightly.

"Just. Tired." I breathed. He scooped me up bridal style and began to carry me up to the Hospital wing.

"No. Gryffindor common room. they need to know the truth." I said. I walked inside and stood up on a table.

"There's something you all need to know. I'm sure you're all wondering. If you were there, I understand if you hate me. I understand if you're afraid. You have every right to be. But i can't help who I am, OK? I-I'm a werewolf." I said. An audible gasp reached my ears.

"No, Not like that. Usually I'm quite harmless. More like an animagus. But the Full Moon effects me a lot. I can't sleep that night. And tonight is the last phase of the Blue moon. So its worse than usual. My pack was killed when I was seven. And yes i bit Malfoy. i lost control, I couldn't help it! He pushed me over the edge when I was most unstable. Please don't hate me." I pleaded. Some were looking at me with sympathy, some confusion. I glanced around, then sat down and put my head in my hands.

"We don't hate you."

"Yeah!"

"How could we?"

"You couldn't help it."

"You aren't a monster." many reassured. I shrugged.

"The other houses won't think so." I muttered.

"We'll tell them!"

"Slytherin won't be convinced, but Huffelpuff and Ravenclaw will surely understand a bit!" so many called out. I smiled. Then I looked out at the darkening sky.

"I'll see you in the morning!" I said, then waved to them as I walked outside. Once on the pitch I ran, thinking hard.

What have I done?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy now, Star? you should be. But I had fun writing that chapter. Savanna doesn't really hate malfoy, but she doesn't like him either. In a life or death situation she'd help him out. But that doesn't mean she won't protect him from the twins. I have the same philosophy.