Suffocation

(a/n: to anybody who has been asking for longer stories lately—it's been pretty difficult to upload every day with all of the things going on currently for me right now, so please be patient if you are somebody who wants a longer oneshot with more plot or dialogue or something. thank you:)

spooktober.13

⚠️Hallucinations, nothing very intense. The title is also technically a trigger warning. Again, nothing really happens, and this one is very sweet:)⚠️

Tony had been hit with some kind of drug. Peter saw him go down, rushing over to see if he was okay.

The rest of the team saw Tony was being taken care of and went back to taking down aliens. So Peter was alone with him.

The thing is, however...

Tony didn't see Peter.

He couldn't really see anything. His thoughts were buzzed and separated, just sort of floating around in his head. They didn't make sense, so he blocked them out.

His vision was blurry for a few seconds and then it cleared up, and Tony wish it hadn't.

In his vision, Peter wasn't in front of him asking if he was okay. In his vision, Peter was in a glass cage, sitting in a chair.

It was all dark around him, as if a spotlight was cast on Peter.

In any other instance, Tony would know it was fake. He would know that it couldn't be real because of the fact they were still in broad daylight.

But this was not any other instance.

Tony tried standing up to get to his kid. His kid. Because his kid was in trouble. His kid was locked up. He needed to get to Peter.

That was the only thought that stood out in his jumbled up brain; the only one that made sense. This could be because of the fact it was laced in fear, or because Tony's parental urge of Peter needing to be safe overpowered any drug that could ever course through Tony's system—but he didn't really think about it too much.

However, he couldn't move. His muscles didn't even twitch as he tried to stand. Tony was completely frozen in his spot, and he didn't know why.

The Peter that he was seeing was gasping for air, trying to pound on the glass. "Mr. Stark! Help, please help—"

Tony tries to say something back in response. He wasn't quite sure what it was he said, for it was as if his tongue didn't work and he'd never spoken in his life. It was mumbled and just sounded like noise.

He hoped somewhere in the back of his brain that Peter understood him anyway, because Peter always seemed to understand him. He always just seemed to know what it was Tony had said, even if he said something completely incoherent.

But Peter didn't understand, and kept hitting the glass with as much force as he could. He looked scared, and Tony couldn't do anything about it.

Tony kept trying to move, and to go over and help Peter break the glass. He wasn't completely sure what was happened, but he knew Peter was in trouble.

"Help, please—" Peter chokes out, banging his fists on the glass. "I can't breathe, Mr. Stark, I can't—"

For how useless Tony was being right now, he could understand those words. His blood ran cold and he tried harder to move. Peter couldn't breathe. He couldn't breathe, Tony needed to get to him. Peter needs his help, he can't breathe.

And yet again his limbs failed him, and he couldn't get up. He couldn't save Peter.

Instead, he felt himself be pulled away. He saw Peter's expression grow even more afraid as Tony was pulled backwards.

"No!" Peter sobs. "Don't leave me! Save me! Please—" He lets out a painful gasp.

All Tony can do is watch. His brain still felt full of cotton. His thoughts still seemed as if they were strung letter by letter in his mind. But he knew he had failed.

A tear fell down his face.

Then everything went black.

When Tony woke up, he felt terrible. He looked off to the side and it gave him all of the clues he needed to piece together that he was in a hospital. A heart monitor, an IV drip, and other common hospital-visit things sat in the room.

His head felt foggy, but one thing that cut through all of it was Peter, asleep in a hospital chair.

Relief flooded through his veins, a more powerful cure then whatever they actually had him hooked up on.

Just as Tony was about to pull the IV out, Pepper walked into the room, holding two mugs. She glances at Tony, who slowly puts his hand down. "Yeah, I thought so. Don't you dare think about it again."

"Is that for me?" Tony asks, eyeing one of the mugs.

"No. This one is hot cocoa, it's for Peter," Pepper puts one mug on the table closest to Peter. "Because—"

"He doesn't like coffee but sugar energizes him just fine," Tony finishes. "I know."

"I know you do," Pepper smiles.

"What about that one?" He points to the mug currently in Pepper's hands.

"This?" She lifts the mug. Tony nods. "It's for people who haven't slept in a day and for people who aren't on a doctor-given diet."

Tony pouts as she sips from the mug. "Did they really?"

"Yes, Tony. They gave you a temporary diet. Relax, it's only mandatory for a few days."

"A few days too long, I'm perfectly fine," Tony assures her.

"Oh, yeah? Tell the kid," Pepper says. "He's been awake longer than I have. He just conked out when I left the room to get him a drink."

Tony frowns. "Poor kid."

As if Peter seemed to subconsciously notice they were talking about him, he opened his eyes sleepily. They met Tony's eyes and widened. Peter sat up quickly. "Mr. Stark! You're okay!"

"That I am," Tony nods. "C'mere."

Tony raises one of his arms and Peter gets out of his seat, walking over to his bed. He slots himself next to Tony's chest, and Tony ruffles his hair.

"I'm okay," Tony repeats.

It's just what Peter needs to hear. He relaxes and closes his eyes. "You're okay," Peter murmurs. Tony thinks it's more for himself then to Tony.

Peter falls asleep soon after, listening to Tony's heartbeat as a gentle yet strong reminder that Tony was going to be just fine.

Tony falls asleep after Peter does, with the knowledge that his kid wasn't anywhere near any kind of glass cage. He was right next to Tony, asleep and safe. Just as things should always be.

Pepper takes a photo before she leaves the room, giving them a quiet place to rest.

They were okay.

I told y'all it was canon