I Promise

"Tony, can you go pick up Peter? He just got in surgery for getting his wisdom teeth out. He should be out in about twenty minutes."

That's what May had called Tony about at 2:24 in the afternoon.

Tony quickly said that he would, and he was at Peter's dentist in ten minutes. He sat in the waiting room, and eventually he was called in for Peter.

Peter grinned lazily at him. "Mr. St'rk!" He slurred, sounding slightly muffled by the cloth shoved into his mouth.

Tony snorts and sits down. "Hey, bud."

"M' mou'h fee's funny," Peter says randomly, and he drools onto a napkin that was put on his chest. Peter looks down at the drool and his eyes widen comically. "'M bleedin'!"

"I see that, kiddo. Do you want to spit that out? I can go get a cup," Tony suggests.

"I got—'s bleedin', Mr. St'rk, 'm I gonna die?!" Peter panics, trying to sit up.

Tony's eyes soften and he gently eases Peter back into the seat. "You're okay, Pete. You're mouth just got a little hurt. You know when you bite your tongue too hard on accident?"

Peter blinks sluggishly as if he's trying to process the words Tony was saying and then slowly nods at him. "So 'm okay?" He drools again.

Tony scrunches his nose and gives him a napkin. "Yeah. You're alright."

Peter nods, staring at the napkin blankly. He slaps the napkin out of Tony's hand accidentally, and Tony snickers. Peter breaks into a grin.

"'S so crazy that I know you, Mr. St'rk," Peter murmurs with a lazy smile. "You've been like, my idol since I was..I was like—"

Peter holds a hand about two feet off the ground. "That tall!"

"Sometimes I forget how much you're a literal child," Tony snorts.

Peter pouts for a second and then brushes it off. He looks back up at Tony. "M'. St'rk, you wan' know a secret?"

"Sure, underoos," Tony says in amusement, leaning back in his chair.

"Okay, Okay—My third favourite superhero is—is Spid'r-Man," Peter whispers loudly.

"Yeah?" Tony smiles. "Is it 'cuz he's so similar to you?"

Peter's eyes widen and he holds up a finger to his mouth. "Shhhhh—" he freezes and then touches the cloth pillows in his mouth.

"Aye—" Tony bats his hand away, and Peter brings up his other hand. Tony bats that one away too and Peter pouts at him. "Don't touch your mouth."

"I can't feel m' mouth," Peter mumbles quietly. His eyebrows furrow. "I—I can't feel it, Mr. St'rk—" he sits up again in a panic.

Tony puts his hands on Peter's shoulders. "Hey, Hey—Peter, listen to me."

Peter stops talking and looks up at Tony. A line of drool slowly drops down into Peter's lap. Tony grimaces and takes a napkin, wiping Peter's mouth off. "Okay—"

"Did you jus' wipe my mouth for me?" Peter interrupts, smiling a little. One of the cloth pillows fall out of his mouth. "Like—Like a dad?"

Tony blinks at him, and Peter suddenly gasps.

"Wait, no—I didn't mean that-! I can't say that, I take it back! Not today, Parker Curse," Peter pouts, glaring at the ceiling.

"Wh—What?" Tony says in confusion.

"'S the Parker Curse," Peter explains. "Made it up in...uhh..." he looks down at his hands and holds up seven fingers. "Seventh grade."

"It's when all your father figures keep dying," Peter frowns. "An' I can't call you anything like my dad or the Parker Curse will get you."

Tony is rendered speechless, his hands still on Peter's shoulders. His eyes are widened slightly as he slowly puts his hands down. "..Oh."

"..........How do you ask how a glass of water is doing?" Peter asks with a dopey smile.

"A glass of water in an inanimate object, underoos. It can't really hear you. Or understand you," Tony furrows his brows. "Are you okay? Hallucinating? Maybe I could call a doctor and—"

"Water you doing?" Peter bursts out laughing, the other cloth pillow falling out of his mouth.

"—get some medica—" Tony freezes. He snorts and shakes his head. "Alright, you dork. We're going to the compound so you're aunt can pick you up after work," Tony stands up.

"Okie dokie," Peter says happily. "I can kinda feel my mouth a little. It hurts."

"Yeah," Tony nods. "It'll hurt a while. Sorry, Pete. I could get you some more pain meds," he suggests.

"They'd wear off," Peter shrugs, his words sounding more clear now. "I think these ones are wearing off too."

"We can use some leftover from when Steve was living at the compound," Tony suggests. "Painkillers, that is."

"Right." Peter stands up uneasily. Tony puts a steadying hand on his shoulder. "I still can't feel my mouth all the way though."

Tony laughs a little. "Yeah, that's probably best."

Peter pouts at him.

"Hey, don't give me that look!" Tony snorts. "I'm just telling you the truth."

"Stop telling my the truth, make up something," Peter slowly walks out of the dentist office, and Tony follows behind him, not letting his hand move.

"Okay, fine. Your pain is nonexistent, your mouth didn't just get stabbed with dentist tools, and you still have your wisdom teeth," Tony says firmly.

"That's not quite the lies I wanted, but I mean, I got what I asked for," Peter shrugs.

"Yeah, you did," Tony smiles. "You ready to go?"

Peter nods, and Tony guides him to his car outside.

Sometime as Tony is driving back to the compound, Peter falls asleep. His mouth is wide open, snoring quietly. His head is rested on the window.

Tony smiles, melting at the sight of his kid.

"Sir, Pepper is calling. Redirecting the call to the speaker," FRIDAY says. Tony quickly turns the volume down.

"Tony, where are you?" Pepper's voice sounded quietly through the speakers of the car. Her tone was most certainly annoyed. "You're supposed to be at the meeting today. It started five minutes ago, and I just got a call you're not there."

"I know, something important came up," Tony said in a low voice, to not wake Peter.

"Like what? You promised you would try to make the meetings more often. We talked about this," Pepper said in disapproval.

"I know! And I mean it. I didn't miss the last three meetings, and I also wasn't late. I had to miss this one. Ms. Parker needed me to pick the kid up from surgery," Tony explained.

"Surgery? Is he okay?" Pepper's tone quickly changed to concern.

"Yeah, it was a dental thing. He got his wisdom teeth taken out," Tony turned into his parking garage.

"..Okay. Make the next meeting, though, please."

"Promise I will, Pep. Love you," Tony promises.

"Love you too," Pepper sighs.

Tony hangs up and looks over at Peter, who was now awake. "Hey, kiddo."

"D'you miss a meeting to pick me up?" Peter asks sleepily, a frown on his face. Tony instantly wanted the frown to go away.

"Yeah, but that's okay. You're more important anyway," Tony shrugs.

"Really?" Peter asks, his eyes slightly wide.

Tony smiles and ruffles his hair.

"I promise, Pete."

a/n: hi, what was the last song you listened to? just a random question. have a good day, drink water, be nice to yourself:)