Virgil

*TRIGGER WARNINGS*

Blood,

"What's going on?" Patton asks. I'm pacing in a dungeon cellar. Patton and Logan in one opposite. I don't answer him; I just keep pacing.

"Virgil, you missed several commas in your note," Logan says. I stop and glare at him.

"I'm sorry but commas are the last fucking thing on my mind right now," I scowl walking over to the gate and trying to break it with magic but the purple wisps dance around and then disappear. I grip my fists, "For fuck's sake!"

"Okay, you need to chill out," Logan shakes his head at me.

"You're right, my boyfriend is about to die because I knocked him out and helped my brother and the other fuck-wit chain him up. I have nothing to be angry or scared about," I growl and restrain from punching a wall.

"Kiddo, it's okay. We'll get to him," Patton says slowly.

"How do you know that, Pat? I've hurt my boyfriend twice in the last twenty-four hours and now I can't help him. I can't get out of here and my magic doesn't seem to work at all. What the fuck am I s'posed to do?"

"First of all, breathe," Patton says as I sink to the floor against the wall, hands dig into my hair and elbows on my knees, "In and out. In and out. In and out."

I try desperately to keep my breathing in time with Patton's words. I won't get to Roman like this. After a few minutes, I've got a handle on my anxiety and I focus on the sound around me. Water dripping, a rat scuttling along the floor, the breathing of other prisoners, someone walking and a echoing, high-pitched, somewhat feminine, scream.

There's a flash of purple light and a crash then I open my eyes to see the gate gone. Kind of. There are various bits of jagged metal scattered across the floor. Boom. I stand up and run over to Patton and Logan's cell, attempting to pick the lock with a smaller piece of metal. A few clicks later and the two are out of their cell and following me up the spiralling stairs, each holding a bit of metal from the gate, to save Roman and his parents.

Out of breath but fuelled by adrenaline, the three of us stand at the top of the staircase and stare at the wooden door in front of us. It's the only thing now between us and Roman. I press my ear up against the door and listen for them. Trying to work out what's going on.

"Before we make any irrational decisions, we should plan this and-" Logan starts but I'm already kicking the door down and ready to throw my knife at anyone I need to. Roman looks terrified. His cheeks as red as his parents'. All of them have clearly been crying a lot but Deceit looks pleased with himself. Remus is standing next to Roman with a knife and that's when I spot a thin line of blood dripping down Roman's cheek. What the fuck did they do to him? I aim and throw my knife at Remus' shoulder. It won't go threw his actual shoulder just the unnecessary amount of material around it. Remus looks at us startled, the grin finally gone and the knife falling out of his hand and landing dangerously close to Romans leg causing my heart to skip a beat. I wave my hand and Remus is tied to the wall by purple vines. Logan and Patton walk around me and over to the King and Queen unlocking their wrists with the keys that I send flying towards them from Deceit's belt.

"What are you doing, Virgil?" Deceit growls at me walking closer.

"Stopping you." I step closer to him too, "This isn't right, Dee."

"You always wanted this too, don't deny it."

"Yeah, when I was eight and still convinced that mum was a good person! That was ten years ago, Deceit! Mum's dead, and she was a horrific person. She put a curse on an innocent baby in an attempt to kill her and then burnt an entire castle down to the ground when a prince came to rescue that princess. Mum was in the wrong, not the King and Queen," I say trying to stay calm but also becoming very aware of the amount of blood dripping down Roman's cheek. Was that what the scream was? Is he okay?

"He still killed her!"

"Out of self-defence," I shout, "Mum started the fight! She brought her own death upon herself!"

I walk over to Remus and rip my knife out of his shoulder pad and then pick his knife off of the floor, sliding them both into my pocket. I crouch down in front of Roman and gently, slowly cup Roman's injured cheek and then pulling it a way after a soft purple glow to reveal his newly healed skin. Patton rushes over with the keys and unlocks Roman's wrists. He helps the shorter man up and then holds him as Roman seems to be finding it hard to stand. I walk over to Deceit and hold out my hand.

"End this, we don't need to avenge mum," I say looking down at Deceit. He slowly, hesitantly takes my hand and shakes it. We smile a little at each other but then he tugs me forward and goes on tip toes to whisper something in my ear.

"Long live the king." He grabs a knife out of my pocket and tosses it towards Roman.

"No!"