5 - almost

The next day, my dad held practice for the boys, but I didn't feel like going because I had a song rhythm stuck in my head.

I must've spent two hours on the piano trying to figure out what exactly was stuck in my head. Grinned to myself once I had figured out all of chords on the piano. Now we just need lyrics.

I closed the piano, covering the keys, and heading upstairs. I was in a workout mood, so I decided to change into the outfit above, going back down into the basement.

I don't know why but Justin and I'd relationship had really been stressing me out recently. He acts like he hates me, but then when we're alone he's the sweetest guy I've met. But the second he shows me his love, I feel like it's ripped away from me again.

I was a in a different part of the basement, the workout area. I started off by doing squats, something that was always a simple workout for me. Every time my legs got tired, I thought about things and kept pushing myself.

I then moved on to weight lifting, trying to gain arm strength. Lastly, I spent 20 minutes on the treadmill. When I got off, I was dripping sweat and chugged the water from the fridge.

I headed back over to the piano and sighed. I ran my hands over the keys, "I won't tell you I'm lonely, cause it might be selfish. I won't ask you to hold me, cause that won't mend what's helpless." I sang, closing my eyes.

I was about to continue, but I felt someone in my presence. I looked up to see Mat with a smirk on his face, "That was almost as beautiful as you."

I blushed lightly, "What're you doing here? How'd you get in?"

He walked closer to me, "Well, I asked your dad if I could ask you a question about hockey. But, I realized I was being an asshole about the whole Justin thing when I shouldn't have stepped in in the first place." He said, crossing his arms.

I stood up with my eyebrow raised, "Is that an apology, Barzal?" I asked playfully, poking at him

He groaned, "In someway, yes." I could tell he wasn't really the type of guy to apologize.

"Then let me hear the words come out." I said cockily, knowing that he was already uncomfortable with having to be all sappy in the first place

He sighed, "Fine. I'm.....sorry." It came out as more of a question, making me laugh, "I forgive you. Who knew that Mathew Barzal was a softie." I said, grinning from ear to ear.

His ears got a little red, "Stopppp it." He laughed, shaking his head.

I laughed again, heading over to the couch area, Mat following me, "Wanna stay and watch some tv?" I asked, not even realizing that the words had slipped out of my mouth.

Mat looked just as shocked as I did, "Yeah, sure."

—-
I held my stomach from laughing so hard, "Wait so you wanted to make a cake for your sister, but you didn't know how, so you made one out of mud?"

Mat was laughing just as hard, "Yes, I was five, okay! I didn't know what I was doing."

We had been laughing hard the entire day, just waisting  our day with tears of happiness. It was actually quite funny, that we had been arguing yesterday because he had been a douche and now he's been super normal.

He smiled at me and I looked at him, "What?"
He shook his head and didn't answer me, "Let's do something fun."

"Like what?" I asked. He grinned as an idea popped into his head, "Let's build a fort!"

I squealed, "Yes, lets go it!"

I grabbed a bunch of pillows and blankets and Matt brought over a couple of chairs we had from the basement table. We angled the fort so that it was only open for us to see the tv.

I snuggled up in my blanket, suddenly feeling cold. Mat noticed my shiver and took off his sweatshirt, handing it to me, "Here, you're cold."

I smiled, "Thanks."

We put on a movie and I snuggled into the pillows we had laid down. The fort was pretty small, so Matt was close enough for his side to be touching my side.

As the movie finished, Mat and I weren't even paying attention anymore, we had been playfully wrestling. Mat had been letting me win, and I pushed him down, getting on top of him.

Once I realized the position we were in, I blushed slightly and started to get off of him but he stopped me.

He held my hands for a second and looked into my eyes. His eyes were super soft and and gentle, making me melt. I felt a tingling sensation in my stomach as he started to lean in.

"Riley!" A voice boomed from the top of the steps, "Pizzas here when you want it."

"Okay" my voice croaked as I scrambled off of Mat, realization hitting in what I had almost done.

I got out of the fort, Mat quick on my tail, and I began pacing.

"Riley."

I ignored his voice, pacing back in forth. I almost just cheated on Justin.

"Riley."

Here I am, thinking he doesn't love me anymore, and I almost just cheated on him.

"Riley!" I finally snapped out of it and looked up to Mat who had concerned eyed, "Can you relax please."

"I almost just cheated on my boyfriend with you, what do you mean, relax?" I asked, angrily.

"I'm sorry okay? Nothing happened, we both leaned in, but no actual cheating was going on. We're only friends." He said in a calm voice.

I don't know why, but when he said that we're only friends, I felt a humongous pang in my chest.

I nodded with a sigh, "Yeah, I'm sorry too."
He looked at me confused, "It's fine, whatever you're sorry for." He gave me a small smile. He stared at me a few seconds longer, and he headed up the steps, "Goodnight Riley."