THE SQUADS

The man behind the desk raises his head.

'Oh, Johansen, isn't it? First and foremost, congratulations on becoming a Guardian, only a select few can become one. Please, have a sit'

Sitting on the chair, Johan closely examines the man. Close on his forties, he is normal as one can be, with his dark brown hair almost touching his big glasses, his robe an official, but pretty reserved one. Around the room there are several paintings of various men, past palace secretaries, most probably.

'Please forgive my working on your presence, but certain things just cannot wait, even in these relatively peaceful times'

Johan stays silent. He feels plenty of magika over the room, as he should. Such an important place is, of course, protected with multiple charms and defensive spells. In a place overflowing with magika like that, Johan cannot even tell if the one opposite of him is a mage.

'Just a minute, I'm almost done here. What do you think of the city, young man? I hope we surpassed your expectations, in the case this is your first provincial capital, that is'

Johan nods. He keeps looking around. His eyes fall on the window on his right.

Calm down. They are probably reading my mind right now. Calm down. Just have to find out the spell they use.

'Not much of a speaker, huh? You remind me of captain Connor, a man of acting over talking. Truly an admirable man'

He puts a final signature on his letter and puts it on his drawer.

'Alright, that's done with. My, I did not even offer you anything to drink. You must be thirsty after morning's tests'

'No thanks, I'm good. What is it you want to talk with me?'

Magoland appear in no haste to answer. He puts a drink of red wine for himself and then takes a good minute better adjusting his glasses on his nose.

'Youngsters these days, so hasty...but then again, we have all been like that back in our days, denying it is futile'

Johan waits for him to continue.

'But let's get to the point, as you asked. Since the beginning of our history, demons, goblins and many more supernatural beings have been at constant war with the Civilised Races, Men, Elves and Fairies. They want to kill us all and bring a dark age, we resist as of duty. No-one could ask for a more black and white war, where the enemy is but a powerful obstacle to overcome, a new step to take towards progress'

As he talks, he slowly walks by his library of hundreds of books.

'The soldiers of the time had no emotional attachment, after all, how could anyone come to like hideous-looking creatures. Last time the human race fought an intelligent species was during the Three Race War, a century ago. With the Triple Pact, the most steady peace was achieved at last, and everyone kept on defending one's land from monsters once again. Truly a most peaceful time, it is written as'

He apparently finds the book he is looking for. He takes it off the shelf, but keeps it closed in his hand.

'And then comes the dawn of modern struggle. Dark Elves declare independence and subsequent war on the main Elven race, the other races rush to help. It should have ended there. Our numbers were far superior, yet we were forced to beat them on a war of attrition. Blocking any food supply and burning their crops, they collapsed soon thereafter. Nowadays, there are but a few left out in the wild, more a nuisance than a genuine threat. The war and all being thirty years ago, I was still but a Guardian of the reserve unit, I took no part in any conflict, but that let me wondering, dear Johansen. Of just how powerful could this race be. For years I asked and asked my seniors to tell me of this monstrous power that pushed us back so many times in battle, but the answer always baffled me'