Chapter I

« Ready, Rogers? »

« Always, Romanoff! »

Nat can't help but sketch a smile. It has been three years since she became Steve's partner for S.H.I.E..L.D. missions and she continues to be amazed at how easily she has adapted to him. In just three months, they had become the perfect duo, the ideal tandem for the most dangerous missions, the "Oh my God we're all going to die" kind of missions and are called exclusively for them, Fury having very well understood the dangerousness of their duo. That's why, once again, they both find themselves on the other side of the globe, having to dismantle a HYDRA base.

« How many of them are there this time? » Natasha asks, already tired of having to kick the asses of the agents of the evil organization once again. Seriously, don't these guys ever learn from their mistake?

« Apparently, a little over a hundred »

« Well, the routine! » she replies with a grin.

Steve laughs. It is true that they have seen other things about dismantling enemy bases. However, something is still bothering Natasha.

« Tell me, why this one in particular? It's a relatively small base considering the number you just gave me and I don't understand. Why us? » she wonders.

Steve looks at her with eyes full of sudden sadness.

« Apparently, they do a lot of experimentation there... on animals and on humans. Fury didn't know if we could find optimized people or I don't know which humanoid, so he preferred to send us»

Natasha's face turns dark. More experiments on humans. People torn from their homes as she once was. Even if she has managed to overcome it and follow the new path that Clint offered her, she cannot help but wonder how many lives like hers have been destroyed around the world.

« If we find genetically modified or optimized people, we have orders to bring them back to S.H.I.E.L.D. If we ever need backup because of the optimized ones, Fury posted backup fractions in one of the S.H.I.E.L.D. bases about fifty kilometers from here. They will be here in less than 30 minutes, » Steve adds.

Natasha nods. Everything rather than let people suffer again because of the KGB or Hydra. 

« Same plan as usual? » she smiles as she looks at him.

« Yes, ma'am. You don't change a winning team! » he replies with a wink.

« Shh, Grandpa, don't be too smart. Do I have to remind you of what happened the last time you were too confident? » she says, looking at him, smiling and laughing.

« So in my defense... » Steve starts to say, « Oh no, I actually have nothing in my defense, » he says laughing and shrugging.

« Hey! » Nat shouts out as she hits him on the shoulder, « I don't think it's funny! I almost had to change partners! You have no idea how boring that is. »

« Awwwwww » Steve replies with his dog-beaten eyes, « would you have missed me? »

« Not at all Captain, I'm just lazy to readapt to someone else. It takes time and I have neither the desire nor the energy so spare me and please stay alive, » She replied mockingly.

Steve pretends to be offended, but he knows very well that deep down she teases him. He too feels more than fine at her side, and although it seems strange to many people, they are only best friends. Not a single ounce of romance between the two of them and it suits them perfectly.

Steve opens the back of the jet and looks at Natasha.

« Women first, » he smiles.

« Ah ah very funny Rogers. Gallant in all circumstances, huh? » she replied before turning towards him, back to the void and letting herself fall back.