Chapter 9

Ponyboy's POV~

What have I done? If I were Heidi, I wouldn't forgive me. All I can do is pray for mercy. "This is a lot." She said. "Pony maybe we shouldn't do this now." I need to know. I'm not like this. Heidi isn't like this. What has become of me? I know how to treat a girl. "Heidi, I need to know. I'm sorry if this is too much." She looked at me, and then at Johnny and then back at me. What was she thinking? "I'm sorry I can do this right now." And then she rushed past me and out of the room. Me and Johnny looked at each other and then I ran out after her. I ran up to her and put my hand on her shoulder. She turned and she looked like she was scared. " I'm sorry." I told her. She hugged me. She put her head into my chest and just stood there. "I don't know what I'm going to do." She said unto my chest. "Whatever makes you happy." I told her. She pulled away and looked at me. "You make me happy Pony." She was close to tears. She's been crying a lot lately. "But, Johnny said that he was in love with me." Did she really have feeling for him? "Let's just go walking." I smiled at her. Maybe she needed a smile. We walked out of the hospital. We headed towards the train tracks. "Pony, what are we going to do?" "What do you mean?" "I mean, after I tell Johnny. What are we going to do?" What were we going to do? "Isn't your birthday coming up?" I asked trying to change the subject. "Yeah. I'll be 16." We would be the same age. "We are going to bake a cake, and everyone will be there. It'll be fun." She looked over at me, "Yeah it'll be fun." We had made it to the train tracks, we were sitting down and just looking at the sky. "Sometimes, I wish I could fly." She told me starring at the dark clouds. "Me too." I told her. A rock fly over me. I sat up and there was some kids younger than us. They threw another one and it hit my head. "Hey!" I yelled out at them and they all took of running. Heidi sat up and looked at me. "We should go, you don't look to good." She wasn't lying, I didn't fee, to good either. We got up and she helped me up. She held my hand the whole way home. We walked in and everyone was sitting on the couch. Darry jumped up. He looked mad. "Where have you two been?" Yep, he was mad. "We went to see Johnny." Heidi answered for me. "You guys just can't take off like that, we were worried sick." He sat back down and continued watching the T.V. We went to my room and she started getting things to help the bleeding in my head. She got alcohol and started dabbing my head. "Ow." I mumbled to myself. She looked up at me smiled and then went back to work. She bandaged me and made me change into clean cloths. I laid down, and fell asleep. I didn't wake up until the next morning. I woke up to the smell of eggs and coffee. Eggs? Coffee? Who cooked? I got up out of bed and washed my face. When I walked out Darry, Soda, Steve And Dally were watching the T.V just the way I had left them the night before. I heard noise in the kitchen. The radio was playing, and it wasn't Elvis. I went in and Heidi was cooking and singing. "Hey! Good morning, I hope you slept well." The truth is I really did. "Good morning." That all I could manage to get out. "You can sit down, I'll fix your plate. They can fix their own." She smiled at me, the joking kind of smile. She had made eggs, bacon, and pancakes. "Do you want coffee or orange juice?" She asked me. "Oh, Orange juice." I told her. She handed me my plate and cup. "It looks good." I told her, "I hope so, it's one of the only things I can make." I laughed, and then she started laughing with me. The guys ran in, "aye, what about us?" Dally asked? " I don't know how much you guys eat, so you guys can get what you want." After she said that, they all ran in and started piling food onto their plates. She laughed at them and sat next to me. "Why aren't you eating?" I asked her. "I don't feel good." She told me. Was she ok? Maybe her stomach was just messed up. "This is good." Soda said through a mouth full of pancakes. She just smiled at him,"thank you Soda, I'm glad you liked it." She looked tired, really tired. She coughed into her arm. "Are you ok Heidi?" Darry asked her. "Yeah I'm fine. It's just a cough." She moved her hair, and then looked at me. She was happy and tired. We finished eating and then the guys had to go. Darry, Soda, And Steve were late for work and Dally had plans with Chirstal. Me and Heidi would have all day to rest, thank god we didn't have school today. "Hey come on, lay down." I told her. She walked over, and sat down by me on the couch. "I think I have a cold or something." She told me. I got up and got her cold medicine. "Thanks." She told me. She laid her head down and she was fast asleep. Gosh, she really was tired. I got up and cleaned from breakfast. Darry usually uses every dish in the house, but Heidi didn't. I washed all of them and then decided to go out. Heidi would probably be asleep for a while. I walked outside and around to the park. I sat down and pulled out a cancer stick. I was sitting and just looking around when someone sat next to me. I looked over and that someone was Cherry. "Hey Ponyboy." She said. "Hi Cherry." She had caused me so much trouble. Why should I talk to her now? "Are you ok? You usually are happy to see me." "Yeah I know, I've got a girl now. She doesn't like me talking to you." She hurt. "And why wouldn't she want me to talk to you?" "Because I told her that I liked you, and that you felt the same. She left me. But I managed to get her back. I don't wanna lose her again." She looked pleased, probably because I admitted I had feeling for her. "So you like me?" Cherry asked. "I used too." "You know, she wouldn't know anything. I can keep secrets." I was shocked. I thought Cherry was better than that. "What?" I asked her, I was mad. "She wouldn't know." She repeated. "Are you asking me to run around?" "Well, you make it sound so wrong," "Because it is. Cherry I love the girl I'm with." She looked embarrassed and sad. "I've gotta go." She said then just walked off. She was a wild one.

Heidi's POV~

When I woke up from my nap, Pony was gone. I just assumed he went for a walk. I got up and went to the kitchen, I was going to clean the dishes. When I got there they were already cleaned. I smiled. Pony must have done it. I looked around me. This place was still messy. I would clean. I started working on the kitchen, then went to the living room, and then Pony and Sodas room. I thought I better not go into Chirstal or Darry's room. Chirstal was never really here. She was always out, whether it was at Dallas's place or at one of her friends. We didn't see her a lot. After I had cleaned, I decided that I would go out too. I went to the bathroom and looked into the mirror. Oh my goodness! I looked like a mess! I went back out and walked to my house. I took a shower and cleaned up. I out on a light purple skirt and a peter collar. I pulled my hair up, and tied a ribbon on around it. I slipped on my converse, and was out the door. I don't know why I wore a skirt. I guess I just wanted to feel pretty after the weeks events. I walked around, and decided I was going to go to Dairy Queen. I walked past the park, and walked up the sidewalk around the corner from Dairy Queen. I walked in, it wasn't as crowded as usual. I just got a coke. I was sitting and flipping threw one of the magazines they had at the table when a boy came and sat in front of me. "Hey." He said. "Hi?" I said back. "What are you doing here all alone?" "I don't know, I felt like being alone." That was my hint for him to go away. "Oh well, you don't have to be alone anymore." What was he getting at? "I'm sorry who are you?" I asked. "Oh I'm, David." Why did that name sound familiar? "And What is your name sweetheart?" He made me feel uncomfortable. "I'm sorry I have to go." I got up and walked out. I was walking back around the corner. I heard footsteps behind me, "Hey babe, why'd you have to go?" One said, I tried to ignore them. One of them ran up to me and grabbed my wrist. It was David. "I asked for your name." He told me. His eyes looked mean, "I'm Heidi, now can you leave me alone?" He looked at me with more meaness, "wait, aren't you a greasers girl?" Oh no. "I've gotta go, would let go of my wrist?" He cocked an eyebrow. "And where do you have to go? I'll take you there." What was he going to do? I decided to just say a public place. "The park. I have to go to the park." He looked over at me, I think he knew something was up. He walked me there, the other boys had left. "So, do you go to Will Rodgers?" He asked me. "Yes." I didn't want to talk to him at all. He walked me over to the fountain. "Sit down." So I sat. He was intimidating. He sat down next to me. "Why did you want me to bring you here?" He looked mad. "I have something to do." "Like what?" I didn't know what to say, I just looked down at my feet. "I asked you a question." I didn't look at him. His grip got tighter. "I don't know." I finally said.
He stood up and dragged me up with him. "You are nothing but a greaser aren't you." I don't know if I am a greaser. I'm just friends with them, maybe I'm guilty by association. "I don't know." "You seem to say that a lot." He got touchy. "Stop." I told him. "What?" "STOP!" I screamed. Everyone looked at us. He pushed me. Then I saw Pony, he was running over. "What's going on?" I don't think he noticed it was me, he probably thought I was still as home. "Taking care of the trash." He said and then grabbed me up from the ground. He looked me in the eyes and that's when I think it clicked that it was me. I didn't know what was coming, he reeled back and punched David right in his face. I was shocked, David let go and I stumbled back. Pony grabbed me, and we took off running. We didn't stop until we got to his house. "Why did you leave?" He said through pants. "You were gone, so I decided I was going to go out." I said sitting down on the couch. "Well how did you too meet?" He asked me. "I went to Dairy Queen and when I sat down he came over and started talking. I left and he came after me." He looked down at his feet, and then sat down next to me. He put his arms on his legs and put his face in his hands. "Are you ok." I asked. "He could've hurt you." He told me. "I know." "Heidi I can't let you get hurt." I looked down too. "I-I think..." he paused, "you think what." "I think we should get married." What? Holy cow. Did he just say Married? I'm happy! Oh god, Married. That's scary, should I be happy? "Wh-What?" "Yeah. We should get Married." All the problems that could happen, started racing. "Pony, where would we go? How would we get married? I'm too young to be a mom? I don't know how to even clean a house right." He stopped me, "Heidi, all I know is that it feels right. You'll be 17 in a few weeks and I'm 18. Things will be alright." I don't know if it felt right, but it did feel nice to think that he loved me enough to marry me. "Ok." I said. He looked up at me, with a big goofy smile on his face. "We are really going to do this?" He said, "I guess so."