Chapter 5

Ponyboy's POV~

I went home and I was right Darry was mad. "Where the hell have you been Ponyboy?" He yelled. "I was with Heidi." I said walking into the kitchen. "You guys didn't do anything did you?" He sounded really worried. "If we did I don't think it would be any of your business." After I said that I realized how cold that sounded. "Pony I asked you a question. Did you, or did you not do anything with that girl?", he asked trying to stay calm. "No we didn't do anything." I said. I was agitated, he was always trying to get into my business.
I sat down on the couch and started to watch the T.V. My eyes started to slowly close. I can only assume that a few hours went by because Dally woke me up telling me it was time for the movies. "Aye sleepy head get up, we've got a movie to catch."
"Alright, Alright I'm coming." I said still groggy. I got up and rubbed my eyes and we were out the door. "Dally, man, why do you look so mad?" I asked. He was so red, he looked like he had just ran a marathon.
"It's nothin'. Me and my girl just got into an argument. She'll be meeting us at the dive in." He usually never let Chirstal come with us. That's usually where he causes trouble and didn't want her to see that. "That's cool, I asked Heidi to come too. She doesn't know if she can yet. " "I like that girl, you picked yourself up a good one." I looked down at my feet and smiled. It seemed like I had been smiling a lot lately. We walked to Johnnys house. Johnny came out before we even got to the door. "Aye There's Johnny!" Dally yelled. Johnny walked over and Dallas started messing up his. "Stop Dally I just put some gel in man." He said. We walked to the movies. We always went in though the broken gate so that we didn't have to pay. Not because we didn't have money but because it was wrong. As soon as we got in Chirstal came over. "Dally, I swear this is the last time you will ever use me." She started, she went on and on about him being with other girls, and using her and abusing her. He finally told us to go find a seat. We went and sat down in the back. As soon as we sat down we heard to girls yell at their boyfriends and come over. The pretty red head looked at the other girl, and started talking." I can't believe they were drunk again." She said. "They promised us they wouldn't do this again." "Yeah well, they are liars." The brunette said. "Yeah, your right." The red head said. After that Dally and Chirstal came over. Dally sat next to me and Chirstal by Johnny. "What happened Dally?" I whispered. "Don't worry about it." He said. He looked at the red head and then at chirstal. He got close the the red and touched her hair. "Is this your real hair?" He said. "Yes it is, now could you stop touching it?" " haven't I seen you two from somewhere? You two barrel race?" He was trying to make Chirstal upset. Chirstal wasn't the type to get mad and storm off, she was the type to feel and not say. I knew that later tonight she would be crying at home. I felt bad for her. "You'd better leave us alone." The girl said. "Or I'll call the cops."
"Oh my, my"-Dally looked bored-" you've got me scared to death. You ought to see my record sometime baby." He grinned slyly. "Guess what I've been in for?" He went on. "Please leave us alone." She said. "Why can't you be nice and leave us alone?" Dally grinned. "I'm never nice. Want a coke?" She was mad by then. "I wouldn't drink it if I was starving in the dessert, get lost hood!" Dally merely shrugged and walked off. The girl turned and looked at me, I was kinda scared of her. I was scared of nice girls. Especially socs. "You aren't going to start in on us are you?" I shook my head wide eyed. "No." She smiled, gosh she was pretty. I can't believe I just said that. I'm in love with Heidi. "You don't look the type. What's your name?" I don't particularly like telling people my name. "Ponyboy Curtis." I waited for the remarks but she didn't say anything. "That's a very lovely, and original name." "My name is Sherri, but people call me Cherry casue of my hair." She said. Right then Dally came back out with the cokes. He handed all of us one. He sat down and started back messing with Cherry. "Hey sweetheart, how about you let me take you out sometime." He said. "Get lost." She said. Right then chirstal stood up. "Yea Dally get lost." She picked up her coke and splashed it all in his face. He looked dumbfounded. She then walked away like nothing had happened. I always liked her strong will.
Dally got up and left after her.
"How about you two come up here and protect us." The girls said. "Alright." We said. We sat there through the movie twice not saying a word. We were sitting talking when two-bit came and scared us. Johnny screamed and turned white."AHAH! y-you know you c-can't scare me like t-that." Johnny said stuttering. "I'm sorry kid, I forgot."
He looked at the brunette and they stared talking. Me and Cherry started talking to, we talked about the social situation and how things are rough all over. Two-but decided to walk them home. "Cherry?" I said "yes Pony?" She said back. "Do you like watching the sunsets?" I asked. "You know what, I actually do." "I bet they look nice on you side of town." "I guess so. Your view is just as good." Right then a blue mustang rolled up. Two-bit picked up a broken bottle and handed it to me. I picked cherry behind me. And Marcia went behind Two-bit. Cherry looked scared of me with the bottle in my hand. "You know I could never use this?" "Yea I know I'm just startled is all." Four Socs came out of the car. "Hey baby what are you doing with these bums ?" He sounded wasted. "Who are you calling bums pal?"Two-bit questioned defensively. The Soc ignored him. "We better go with him." Cherry said walking to the car with Marcia. After they drove off, two-bit headed home and me and Johnny walked around. We finally sat down in the lot. "Golly, the stars are bright tonight." Johnny said. I didn't know that he looked at the stars. "Yea, they are." I said back. We got close together. It was freezing. "It's cold." I said. "You shoulda brought a jacket, dummy." I laid my head down and fell asleep on the cold concrete under the stars. When I woke up the first thing I thought about was Cherry. And then the time. He had to have been late. There were no cars. I woke up Johnny. "Johnny! Wake up!" I whisper yelled. Johnny sat up groaning. "What time is it?", "I don't know. We better head back to my house. Darry is gonna skin me." I said. "Yea lets go." He said rubbing his head. He got up and made our way towards the park. We always cut through the park to get to my house. "Let's just rest here for a second." Johnny said out of breathe. He must have gotten up to fast or something. He sat down by the fountain. We heard a car. We both looked at each other. Then we saw that blue mustang. They rolled up and jumped out, Johnny put his hand on his back pocket with his knife. "Hey grease!" He said, he sounded drunk. They circled us. They walked towards Johnny first. They grabbed him and pushed him to the ground punching him. "Aw poor grease. You look thirsty." Then he grabbed me and started to push my face into the water. I couldn't get enough air. I started to breathe in water. My mind started to fill with a red haze and then I passed out. When I woke up, I saw Johnny next to me staring at his hands that were covered in blood. "I killed him." He said. "I killed that kid." I felt sick. "What are we going to do?" I asked. "Go to Dally, he can get us out of this mess." I looked over at the kidded he had stabbed. I gagged, "It's ok pony, I won't look." Then I got up and walked over by the swings and threw up. "Come on Pony we need to go." We walked all the way to bucks. We went in and Dally gave us 50 dollars, me a jacket, a loaded gun, and a place to go.