Chapter 25: An Empty Locket

I sat up, about to start the car so I could drive home, but then there was a knock on my window - which completely scared me. I thought it was a random person trying to rob me or something; I don't know where my mind comes up with these ideas at all. It wasn't that though, obviously - it was Josh, he was standing by the passenger side door, completely surprising me that he was actually here. I leaned over and unlocked the door, which he then opened and hopped into the car - after picking up the cake that was on the seat, thankfully. "What do you want?" I asked him, just a little bit of irritation coming out in my voice. I really tried not to sound mad, but at the same time I wanted him to know that I was mad about this; he never opens up, and even though it's his personal life and that's up to him, but he can't just run away and not explain anything at all, you know...

"I'm sorry," He sighed, fidgeting with the bowl of cake in his lap. "I probably overreacted way too much with the Jason thing,"

"Sophie already explained why, it doesn't matter." I shrugged, placing my hair behind me ear with my finger. "And you said I'm just like Kaitlin, so I think I got it."

"I said you were like Kaitlin because you weren't giving up," He explained. "Sophie didn't tell you everything about Kaitlin, you know."

"Carter told me more about her," I informed him, remembering the stuff about Jackson that he told me.

"About Jackson, right?" He questioned, and I nodded in response. "And that she moved and we never talked after that?"

"That is correct," I confirmed.

"Well let me tell you the real story then," He said, seeming like he was finally going to talk to me. While he began to talk, I slipped my boots off and pulled them up on the seat, holding them close to me and resting my head on my knees. "She moved almost right after Jackson got all the money for his car, and that's when I practically gave up on her. I told her a million times not to give him money, and she always argued with me that she was just helping. The thing is, Jackson doesn't even have a brother - which I told her - so he can't possibly have one in the hospital. But she didn't believe me, because she said I was being annoying and jealous; I didn't realize caring about her made me jealous. But anyway, when she moved, I completely stopped talking to her, and she kept texting me and calling me, but I ignored her. She left a long message on my phone, I still have it if you want to see it... It was like some sort of apology and a pleading way to 'get me back.' I still haven't talked to her since, and after about a month or so, she gave up. And that's how she reminds me of you, you don't give up. But now I realize, you're nothing like her, so it doesn't even matter."

"Okay," I sighed, thinking of what to say to him. I wanted to see the message, but I also wanted to ask how I'm no longer like her, and I didn't know which one I should do. I decided on both, "How am I not like her anymore though? And, can I? See the message, you know..."

"Sure," He said, pulling his phone out of his jeans pocket and unlocking it. After he put in his pass code really fast, he handed the phone to me opened to a text message. I guess he had it opened already; he probably planned this whole thing beforehand.

Hey Josh, yeah I'm texting you, again. But it's gonna be last, I promise. I just want to apologize for not believing you or trusting you. I know it's really stupid of me, believe me, I know :( but it's in the past now, and I know I can't change it, and you might never forgive me, but please just accept my apology... I mean every word I'm saying right now, I swear. I miss you Josh, so much. I missed Carter calling me Ms. Joshua Bliss lol still makes me smile just typing that <3 I know I said a bunch of mean things to you, like when you tried to warn me about Jack, and I didn't believe you, I said you were just being too jealous about it.. now remembering saying that I feel really dumb, you were right all the time, and I should've just believed you. You were my boyfriend after all :/ I guess it makes me a bad girlfriend that I didn't even trust you when you told me that he was just using me. But it's still my stupid fault for being too generous, even though you said you loved that about me. I'm not like that anymore though, I don't give out money to anyone. Yeah, it's only been a month, and I've changed a lot, and that's all because of you. I'm actually thankful for all of that, if you don't know already. I feel like it's a way to make it up to you, because that's kind of the reason we ended. But even though it was never official, I got the hint that we're done. I'll live with it.. :( I just miss you so much Josh, I'm so so sooooooooo sorry for everything. Really hope you could consider forgiving me, or maybe give me a second chance? I doubt that's happening, I'm in New York, no way that would ever work out. But, let me just sum this up, I'm sorry Josh, I love you.. Goodbye :)x