Chapter 24: Birthday Hunt

"You guys seriously can't find him?" I asked the group around me, Sophie, Carter and Dustin.

"We can't," Sophie sighed. "I don't know where he could even be,"

"It's okay babe," Dustin assured her, wrapping one of his arms around her shoulders. "He'll show up eventually, I promise."

I sat down beside Carter on the grass, just like yesterday, and braced to the foot of the bench. "Did any of you guys try to call him?"

"I called him a million times, he isn't picking up his phone," Carter told me, and this was the first time I actually saw him look sad. They actually all looked sad, and that's not even a good thing right now. I'm still upset about yesterday and what I found out about my mom, plus I still have the thoughts about where my dad is and Kendrick leaving, so I'm not in the best of moods either. Yesterday was actually kind of nice, because they weren't so worried about Josh or anything, because they thought he was just out somewhere, but today it's different. They're all sad, and worried about Josh, so it's just a really gloomy day today.

"Did you see Taylor to ask her anything?" I asked, even though I knew that they all hated her and wouldn't. But right now, seeing how worried they look, I think they'd try anything. I mean if I was looking for my best friend since practical birth I'd do no matter what it takes.

"We asked her, but she just said she doesn't know and that she doesn't care." Dustin answered. "She was no help, shouldn't have even asked her anyway."

"And his car isn't even at his house, so he obviously went somewhere." Sophie added, sounding like she was about to cry.

"How about we get over this whole depressing topic, huh?" Carter pleaded, trying to add a little chirp on his voice. But it was obvious he wasn't anywhere near being chirpy.

"Yeah, that sounds like a good idea." Sophie agreed, and she's great at changing her moods, so she seemed happy automatically.

"That sounds like a good idea, so Kathryn, why're you so dressed up today?" Dustin asked, nudging me with his foot.

I glared at him for kicking me, but answered anyway, "It's my birthday,"

"Really?!" Sophie exclaimed. "Why didn't you tell us?!"

"Yeah, we're like your best friends, we should've known this." Carter said.

"It's not that big of a deal," I laughed, not really thinking I had to tell them - like it was a must for me to. I mean, it is exciting, that it's my birthday and all, but I don't feel the excitement all that much anymore.

"It is a big deal Rin!" Sophie disagreed with me. "We would've made a cake for you and took you out somewhere."

"You really don't have to do that," I told her, even though that would've been really nice. I mean, they can't do that now, because it's way too late for all those plans. I couldn't really go anyway, because I was still kind of excited for the party that I was getting to go to tonight. It wasn't my party though, it's Kendrick's. I agreed to let him have the party, because he is in college and I've stopped him from having parties ever since he was my age, so maybe him having one is okay, I guess. It also got rid of problems, which is great, because I really hate fighting with my brother.

"We do that for everyone," Dustin told me. "Well not literally everyone, just our best friends. And you're one of them now, so we kind of had to do that,"

"Maybe next year," I offered, not wanting to disappoint them.

"Fine," Sophie pouted. "You should dress like this more often though, you look cute."