Chapter 11- Look before you Weep

I ran for hours, my eyes so full of tears, I didn’t see where I was going. And I didn’t care. Finally, I came to an abrupt stop, crashing into a fallen log in my path, slamming down on my face unto the forest floor. I didn’t bother to get up. I’d given up. Life had given up on me. So I gave up on Life. Lunar had lied to me. He had thought that telling me they’d kill me would let me down easy… He was wrong to do such a thing. It had made things so much worse. I began to wish I’d never even met him that day. That glorious day. The day I could never forget. Not in a hundred years. Not ever. My face hurt after slamming into the ground and crying my eyes out. My eyes burned and my heart ached. Real bad. I laid there. Lonely. I was alone. I considered death. But I knew suicide couldn’t heal everything. I wished I could start my life over. Or that I was never born. I didn’t know when I’d get up, or if I ever would. I sat there, not knowing if there was even any sunlight left, and didn’t bother to look. It was pointless. Life was pointless. Love was pointless. Finally, after lying there, angry at the world, I managed to slip into a nightmare sleep.

I awoke the next morning on a cold wooden floor. My fur was sticky and crunchy after absorbing my tears, and I was lying against something fuzzy. I looked around and realized that I was in a small house. A VERY small house. The room I was in was the entire house. It was about the size of a small fast food restaurant, and the doors were entirely made of glass. There was a door five feet from me and one that led to the bathroom, to my left. Finally, out of curiosity, I turned to see what fuzzy thing was lying against my side. I almost shrieked when I realized what it was.

Pressed at my side was the largest grey wolf I’d ever seen in my life. He was asleep, and he looked big enough to take up an entire King Sized bed all by himself… and hang off the edges. He was NOT fat, but slightly chubby. His face was colored a lighter grey than the rest of his enormous body, and his heaving sides crushed me slightly each time he breathed. I stood warily and began to back up. Before I could go far, his giant eye lids opened revealing the most beautiful crystal blue eyes I’d ever seen. He stared at me. “You are awake.” He said with a soothing voice. I nodded, petrified. He laughed darkly. “You seem confused. Allow me to enlighten you.” He stood and the top of his back brushed the ceiling. “I am Alto.” He said, sitting down with a large thud. “I am summoned at the sound or sight of a broken heart.” I pinned back my ears. He continued. “I was on my way to the river when I spotted you lying there… your head was bruised and you were the saddest sight I’d ever seen… a definite sign of a broken heart.” He shook his huge head. I sat down and felt a tear fall down my face. Alto leaned forward and used his large paw to tilt my head up to look at him. “No more tears, my friend. No more.” He removed his paw and used it to wipe away my tear.

“There, there. Come with me.” He squeezed himself out of the glass doors and I followed closely behind. As soon as I could see where I was I gasped in complete shock.