Chapter 2 - Explanation

I didn’t know what to think, now. Was fate trying to tell me something? Were Lunar and I supposed to be kept apart? I didn’t know. I looked backwards at the bandana still wrapped around me. Having the bandana was nearly like having Lunar at my side. It was warm, and bright, and it made me feel comforted. I sighed and lowered my head. If Lunar would never be in my sights again, I surely would die. I wouldn’t eat, I wouldn’t sleep, and I wouldn’t move. I would sit, and wish that I could have what I truly wanted. I shook the thought abruptly from my mind. Before I could think any further, I felt something cold and wet hit my flank. I sprung back in alarm to find that it was a raindrop. It began to sprinkle and I knew I had to get home, before I was soaked, and before anyone noticed I had gone. Pulling Lunar’s bandana further up my back, I began to sprint back to my house, where I could immediately see that my bedroom light was on. “Dang it!” I quickly rushed to the doorstep and Wolfed Down before entering the household. As soon as I stepped into the front room, I was greeted by my two sisters, Olivia (MoonGlisten) and Ashleigh (StarDancer.) “Emma!” Olivia called after me, when I tried to turn away. “Where have you been?” Ashleigh finished for her. I turned to face them. Olivia looked worried slightly and Ashleigh looked slightly stern. Before anything further could happen, both of my parents entered the room. My dad looked at me like a squid was hanging out my ear, and my mother just stared at me, lost in thought. “Where have you been?!” Dad cried, coming closer and taking my hands in his.  I didn’t know WHAT to tell them. My dad was extremely over protective when it comes to boys, and it was OBVIOUS that LunarDarkness was of a different pack, considering I’d never seen him before then. I stood silently, trying to think of an explanation. My mother sighed and stroked a strand of my golden brown hair before speaking timidly. “You’re worrying me, Emma.” I bit my lip. I was completely sure that this was true when I saw the worry in he eyes. Abruptly, she left the room. My dad looked back at her and turned to give me a grim look before turning away as well. I sighed in frustration and stared at my shoes. I felt Ashleigh and Olivia’s eyes burning me and looked up. Olivia was the first to speak. “What’s happening to you?” Ashleigh folded her arms across her chest. “What’s going on, Emma?” I gave it some thought. Yeah, I guess it wouldn’t hurt to tell them. But I hoped they could keep it a secret. I took a deep breath. “I’ll tell you guys at the hunt tomorrow morning, ok?” Both smiled and nodded. I continued. “But, please, promise me you won’t tell mom and dad.” They looked at each other. “Why?” They said together. I smiled faintly. “You’ll know why when I tell you.” They grinned. “OK.” I smiled back. Yes, the hunt would be the perfect time to tell them. Tomorrow would be our first hunt by ourselves, so mom and dad couldn’t hear us. Ashleigh frowned. My eyebrows furrowed. “What?” She held up an accusing finger. “Where’d you get that blue bandana?” I blushed. “You’ll know soon enough…” I managed to say. I quickly scampered out of the room before they could ask me anything else.

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning, I eagerly leapt out of bed and looked in the mirror. “Today’s the day.” I said to myself. Yes, Today was the day when I’d finally hunt without an adult’s help, AND…the day when Ashleigh and Olivia would finally know the truth. I bent down on my hands and knees and began to Wolf Up. I now had become Caramel Dream, A caramel brown wolf with deep brown eyes and black socks on each paw. I rushed into my sisters’ side of the room where they too were Wolfing Up. Ashleigh had become Star Dancer, A navy blue wolf with light blue highlights and Star designs on her tail.  Olivia was now Moon Glisten, a light blonde wolf with a brown spot on her back, and front right paw with light, hazel brown eyes. They both looked at me, deep expectation in their eyes. We scampered downstairs, where both of my parents were doing the dishes. We waited for their looks of approval before dashing out the door and into the forest.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally, we had found the perfect spot to prepare for our first hunt alone: A cave. We scrambled inside and Ashleigh and Olivia sat their tails down in front of me and stared expectantly. I rolled my eyes. “OK, so, I was going to collect thorn berries for dad, right..?”

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They stared in fascination. I grinned a little. “So, now you know the whole story.” They continued to stare. “OMG!!” Star screamed. I flinched at the piercing shout. MoonGlisten stared, jaw hanging and eyes as big as saucers. “GLOB.” She finally said. I giggled. Star’s tail wagged fiercely. It looked funny because she sat perky and happy and wiggling whereas Moon sat completely motionless. I put a paw over my mouth to keep from laughing. But a giggle still managed to push out. “What did you say his name was? Crumpled Darkness?” I interrupted immediately. “NO! His name is LunarDarkness.” Star giggled. “Oh.” I sighed and shook my head. Moon unfroze. “Well, I’m going to get some fire wood so we don’t have to eat it raw.”

                               “Ok.”

At that, Moon left the cave. Star stared at me with a smug grin on her face. I rolled my eyes. We emerged from the cave and pushed our noses to the ground. My head shot up. “I got a scent, StarDancer!” She grinned. “What is it?” I sneered. “Elk.”