I growled with the mention of Keyan's name. My wolf quickly retracted by himself as jealousy rose up inside me. Gaining my control back, I stormed out of the clearing, making a beeline towards Mae's house.

Edrik followed me, tailing behind, rambling on about how I should act but none of it registered inside me.

When I arrived, I didn't bother to knock. I swung her door open, almost ripping it off its hinges before entering.

Mae was in front of me in a second. Face angry and frustrated as she waved her arms around.

"I'll fix your door," I growled, pushing past the old woman.

"Be quiet, or you'll wake her," Mae hushed.

Edrik ran in front of me. "Calm down Kaelon or I won't let you near her. She doesn't deserve to see you like this."

I snarled at my second commander, ready to set him in his place when the door to Edrei's room opened. Keyan emerged out of it, softly shutting it behind him.

Pushing past Edrik, I stormed up to my brother. I grabbed his shirt, pushing him away from the room where Edrei was sleeping. "What the fuck are you doing here?" I snapped, seeing red blots slowly appearing in my vision.

"If you wake her I swear I will rip your throat out here and now," he snarled in return, grabbing me by my shirt and pulling me towards the front of the house.

I pushed him off me before swinging my fist at his face. Keyan caught it easily, stopping it inches before impact.

"Who the fuck do you think you are Kaelon?" He asked. "You storm in here wanting to see her, but look at you. There's no way any of us is going to let you in."

"Why do you care so much? She's my mate. She needs me."

Keyan scoffed. "And what do you know about what she needs right now? You weren't here when it happened. You weren't the one holding her hand and telling her she's going to be okay and you especially weren't here to listen to her cries, so don't fucking tell me you know what she needs."

I stood still, knowing he was right. I wasn't there for her when it happened and as much as I hated to admit it, I was glad Keyan was. Digging my nails into my palm, I stormed over to Mae's couch, sitting down on the spot that gave me the best view of her room.

As time ticked on, the tension in Mae's house fizzled away. Keyan sat on the lounge chair to my right, keeping his eyes on me as Mae served us tea.

Zoron joined us later, announcing that he had found his mate to his grandmother, lighting up the mood.

I didn't pay any attention to them as they chatted about her, my mind in my own mate. Keyan seemed like he didn't care too much for the conversation too as he kept his eyes on me.

"Keyan!" I heard Edrei yell, panic in her voice. Immediately silence covered the room. All heads turned to us as Keyan and I stood up at the same time.

"You can sit back down," I ordered him. "She doesn't need you anymore."

Keyan narrowed his eyes, shooting me daggers. I felt him watching my every move as I walked from the couch to Edrei's room.

I opened the door, smelling nothing but the mixture of Edrei's and Keyan's scent. Pushing down my jealousy, I walked to her.

Her heart was beating rapidly and her breath came out shaky. She didn't acknowledge me as she laid back down.

Crawling into bed with her, I wrapped my arms around her waist.

"What are you doing?" She asked as she stilled to my touch. I turned her around, letting her see it was me, not my brother holding her.

Her eyes met mine and for a second I wanted to cry. Keyan was right. I didn't know what she needed but that will eventually change. I plan on being here for her every step of the way.

Tears brimmed her eyes once she realised I was back before her face slowly morphed from shock to anger.

"Where were you?" She asked, banging her fists against my chest. "Where were you?" She screamed louder demanding an answer. When I didn't give her one she tried to push herself away from me, but she was too weak.

I swore in my head. Seeing her like this completely shattered my heart. "I'm sorry," I told her, wishing I could do more- wishing I could say more. "I'm sorry."

Edrei relaxed against me, her tears wetting my shirt as she cried. I kept my hands around her, trying to soothe away the pain she felt.

Deep down I knew I could never get rid of it, not fully and I hated it. It made me feel weak and helpless when I wanted nothing more for her to be okay.

I rocked her until she fell asleep, giving her a moment of relief. This was all I could do. I stayed awake, wanting to be there when she wakes up but eventually, I fell asleep too.

I felt her kiss me when I woke up. The distinct touch of her lips on mine. My eyes fluttered open before concern washed over me as I took her in.

Her eyes were puffy and had dark circles underneath them. Her cheeks dipped slightly into her face from exhaustion. When was the last time she ate?

Immediately, like she realised what had happened, she pushed herself off me. My hand shot out, stopping her from moving away.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

She didn't turn around as she spoke. "You don't need to stay with me."

My brows furrowed together. What was she talking about? "I'm not staying because I need to. I'm staying because I want to."

"But I don't want you to," she replied, voice slightly breaking.

I reached out to her, but my hand trying to pull her back to me but she can be stubborn sometimes.

"I'm not going anywhere. I'm not leaving you ever again," I promised.

"You say that now but you weren't here when I needed you most. Just leave, I don't want you here."

I narrowed my eyes, trying to work out what she meant. A growl erupted from my chest as my thoughts flew towards jealousy. Before I could stop myself, the words left my mouth. "Would you like me to call Keyan instead?"

"At least he was there with me," she bit back.

I gritted my teeth before pushing myself out of bed. I stormed over to the door, swinging it open before slamming it shut.

Mae was outside on the couch with Keyan. When my eyes landed on him, I wanted to rip his throat out.

"How is she?" Mae asked, walking towards me.

"She wants Keyan," I growled to her.

"Don't be stupid," she replied, dismissing my comment. "I'll go in and talk to her. Kaelon, just because you weren't here when it happened doesn't mean she suddenly needs Keyan."

I crossed my arms. "Well, it seems that way."

Mae rolled her eyes. "If you would like to pull your head out of your ass, you'll see that she's blaming herself for what happened. I'll go and talk to her, might bring her something to eat while I'm at it."

I didn't argue with the healer as she wobbled away. Holding my head up high, I walked to my brother.

"How is she?" He asked, getting up from the couch.

"She slept fine and Mae's going to go in and talk to her," I replied, tone slightly cold. Keyan stared at me, pressing his lips in a line.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him, getting straight to business.

Keyan crossed his arms. "I know I'm not supposed to show up until at least tomorrow but I couldn't wait. Arctos needs help."

"Then you've wasted your time. I'm not going to listen to anything you have to say until I know that Edrei's alright."

He didn't push the issue as he nodded. "I'll wait." He looked towards Edrei's door, watching as Mae entered.

I hope Mae was right about Edrei.