Chapter Twenty-Two

Working from home was excellent. He didn't realise how good it would feel to be able to focus on his career in a way he'd never done before; without oversight, responsible to only himself.

Sarah had been totally on board about his decision to become a freelance Graphic Designer. Even if she didn't know that a good part of his motivation was to put space between him and Blake. He cited that he wanted to do it around going to uni full time so that he could finish his degree earlier. She seemed to see merit in the idea, as he knew she would; especially being a student herself.

They'd gone to Ikea the same day. Loaded their trolley up with flat-packs and dismantled the dining table they never used anyway; to set him up a home office.

It only took him a day or two to completely settle in.

He was sitting there this morning in nothing, but his boxer shorts. He had a cup of coffee in his hand, and the curtains pulled wide to soak up the springtime sunlight.

The sunlight kissed his skin, it was warm and relaxing. He was comfortable in the office chair he'd taken great pains to select. He'd never had a chair before that was his and only his. The idea that there would be no more hot desks in his life as a nameless number for a large marketing firm appealed to him greatly.

Marmaduke was benefitting from his new career choice, as much as he was. The grey and white feline nuzzled happily at his ankles or climbed up onto the desk to prowl and smack at his cursor on his screen occasionally as he worked.

James' phone buzzed, and he looked down at it;

[Blue Eyes Calling]

"Hey," he answered with handsfree so he could continue on the design colouring the screen before him.

He'd already had so many industry contacts in his two years working for Blake. A number of his smaller clients were only too pleased to support him with his new endeavour; citing their desire for a more personal touch. James was equally as happy to provide it.

He didn't steal any clients from his old work. They'd found him somehow (he'd suspected through Blake), and were able to come to an agreement that had them both getting more than their present agreement.

"Hey Mr Startup, hows the digital finger painting?" Spencer's voice was amused at his own joke, but James laughed anyway.

"Tough," James scratched absently just below his left pectoral, "yeah super busy right now. One of my clients has a product launch tonight, so it's off the chain, here."

"What's the product?" Spencer asked him with interest James was unsure was genuine, but didn't mind all the same.

It was small-talk, and he didnt mind small-talking with Spencer Williams.

Marmaduke had retreated to his new favourite bed behind the PC tower on the desk and meowed lazily.

"Honestly, it's a unisex perfume, eco-conscious cologne, they call it." James wasn't sure why he felt self-conscious about admitting this. Maybe it was that despite Spencer's reasonable personality, he was still a country boy. A little bit masculine, a little bit bumpkin.

But totally endearing.

"Sounds hectic," Spence laughed placatingly.

The precise reaction James had expected.

"It definitely is," James responded and listened to the ambient sound of the small fish tank across the living area. "So did you get my contribution to your 'something old something new'?"

"I was going to go with 'something borrowed'?" Spence was smirking, and a blush crept up his cheeks. "Had a hard time explaining to Jenna why my male friend sent me a pair of his used boxer shorts in the mail."