“You did not just call me a homophobe.” Calum sent Michael a piercing glare, but I could tell by the quaver in his voice that he was more hurt than he was mad. “You know that I support gays totally. Why would you actually think that I would be that judgmental? It hurts that you think that. I can be straight and support gays if I want to.”

            Before they could argue any longer, I grabbed hold of Calum’s wrist and pulled him towards me. I didn’t trust him being near Michael when he was so full of anger. Calum tried to escape from my grip, but he soon gave up.

             “Calum, I think you need to sit down for a little.” I suggested, leading him over towards the couch. He sighed, doing as I said. I told Michael to let Calum calm down a little, so he handled it maturely and left the room.

             “I think I’m going to go talk to Michael about this,” Ashton spoke up. “Hopefully we can work things out.”

            With that, Ashton had left the room. Calum didn’t say a word to me; he didn’t even look at me. It seems that Calum and I are always left sitting in uncomfortable silence now that we had this dare. For some reason, it really hurt me whenever Calum would say the dare was stupid or pointless.

            It hurt that he wouldn’t want to be with me ever. But why does that bother me? I’m not gay, and I certainly don’t like Calum in that way.

            I looked over at the dark haired boy who dodged my gaze, and I noticed that he looked majorly shook up. No matter how unpleasant this whole situation was, he was still my friend. I wanted to make sure he was okay no matter what could happen between us.

           I care about him a lot and that’s never going to change. I reached out my hand to touch his knee, hoping he would look at me.

            He didn’t.

             “Calum,” I spoke firmly; not too loud, not too soft. He still didn’t acknowledge me, so I spoke again. “Calum answer me.”

            “What?”

             “I know that you’re upset about this dare, but could you at least pretend to be civil about it? Just for a moment?”

             “Wow, it looks like we’ve been doing a lot of pretending lately, doesn’t it?” Calum rolled his eyes, refusing to take what I was saying into consideration.

             “Just because you’re mad about faking a dare doesn’t mean you have to have to be fake about it,” I said back, directing my gaze to look in his eyes.

             “I feel like you’re the one being fake with me,” Calum spoke quickly as if he was afraid I was going to interrupt him. “One second you act like you’re on my side and then the next you act like you agree with Michael. I thought you agreed with me that this dare was pointless. Don’t you remember telling Michael about how dumb the dare was in the beginning? Because right now I feel like you’re a totally different person.”

            “I’m not on anyone’s ‘side,’ Calum. This isn’t elementary school,” I replied harshly. I had no idea why he was acting like he had so much control over me—he had zero control over me. He couldn’t tell me what to do or how to feel, and I don’t understand what makes him think that he owns me. “I do agree with you that this dare is kind of pointless, but I don’t think you should be so hard on Michael about it. I just don’t think you should make a big deal out of it, you know?”

            Calum only shrugged, not saying anything else. I took the silence as a way of saying that Calum understands what I was saying; it was either that or he thought I was being too ridiculous to speak to.

[x]

            I talked with Ashton about Michael as soon as I realized that Calum was going to continue to act like a child with the whole situation. Ashton told me that Michael said he didn’t understand why Calum was getting so worked up over the whole dare; he’d never been okay with it. It didn’t bother me at all, so I didn’t understand why Calum had to make things so difficult.

            “I bet it must be hard to act like you’re in love with someone who constantly pisses you off,” Ashton joked, awkwardly stuffing his hands into his pockets. “I think that would drive me insane. I don’t know how the fans actually believe you guys are a thing—there is obvious tension between you two. Besides, we all know that Calum doesn’t believe in love.”

            “He doesn’t believe in love?”

            “You didn’t know that?” Ashton looked surprised. “He’s only said it a million times in interviews. He doesn’t think love exists. He says that something always comes along to ruin it and that when people tell someone they love them, it isn’t sincere. According to him, it only takes one person to destroy it.”

            “Wow that’s…surprising,” I sighed, “you would think Calum would believe in something like that. Has he ever told anyone he loved them before?”

            Ashton bit his lip. “Probably not. I don’t understand why someone who didn’t believe in love would say that they love someone. It just doesn’t make sense to me. Well, unless they’re a liar, but Calum isn’t a liar.”

            “I suppose not,” I told him, although I wasn’t entirely sure of my answer myself. Ashton and I began discussing the whole situation with Michael, and it seemed to me like Michael had told Ashton way more about his feelings than he’d told me or Calum.

            For some reason, Michael was incredibly secretive lately. I mean, look at how long it took for him to admit to me that he had a huge crush on Ashton. Speaking of Ashton, I wonder if he knows that Michael likes him.

           There are so many things that I wish I knew that I might never know the answer to. I just wish I knew what the hell was going through Calum’s mind right now. I wish I knew why Michael was being so cautious with everything. I wish I knew why Ashton has been acting quite fragile lately.

            I wish I knew why I was the unfortunate guy who was stuck in the middle of all of this.

_________________________

A/N: This sucked so badly and it was basically a filler chapter ugh.

Anyways, there was a lot of drama going in the chapter, wouldn’t you agree? There are so many different personalities and change of beliefs/behaviors in here omg.

***QUESTIONS FOR YOU***

✘ do you think ashton is aware of michael’s feelings for him?

✘ why do you think luke partially agrees with both michael and calum?

✘ do you think calum is being a jerk like the other guys think?

✘ do you find yourself mostly agreeing or disagreeing with michael’s decisions throughout the story?

//  chapter playlist //

1.      “clean” – taylor swift

2.      “jealous” – nick jonas

3.      “style” – taylor swift

4.      “fireproof” – one direction

5.      “daylight” – 5 seconds of summer

6.      “all you had to do was stay” – taylor swift

                  I LOVE YOU GUYS XXXX