[4] the lies

A/N: SONG OF THE DAY: “Where Are You Now” by Union J

            “Wait, what?” I couldn’t believe what I’d just heard.

            “Please don’t make me say it again. It’s hard enough for me to admit already,” Michael complained, playing with his sleeves. “It just feels so weird to say out loud.”

            “What makes you think you’re in love with Ashton?” I asked, walking over to the couch to sit down. Michael sat down beside me, taking a deep breath.

            “I don’t know,” he rubbed his eyes. “All I know was that when Ashton was talking to us and he looked at us sadly, I saw him in a different light. I didn’t look at him like I would look at you or Calum. I couldn’t look in his eyes because I would get...urges I shouldn’t be getting.”

            “Urges like what?”

            “Oh you know; wanting to kiss him. Wanting to hold him. Wanting to be the one to cheer him up when he’s sad, and wanting to be the one that makes him laugh when he’s about to cry. I want to lay next to him at night. I know this sounds cheesy but, I’m being honest here.”         

      “I just have one question,” I leaned forward. “When did you realize your feelings?”

      “I always felt that something separated you and Calum from Ashton, but I didn’t know what. I never really bothered to realize exactly what it was that separated you guys, so I guess I didn’t know before. But I always looked at him in awe. I always admired him and I felt like I would do anything just to see his eyes light up with joy. Does that make sense?”

      “Yeah but, you didn’t really answer my question.” I reminded him, and he squeezed his eyes shut for a quick moment.

      “I don’t know I guess that in a way, I’ve always felt some sort of attraction towards him. I guess it started when we first met him, but my attraction to him wasn’t strong enough for me to even notice. Why do you ask?”

      “I was just curious,” I awkwardly shuffled my feet. “Are you going to tell him how you feel?”

      “Probably not. I don’t want things to be awkward between us, and I’m not even one hundred percent sure that I want to be with him. I’ve never dated a guy before, you know.”

      “He might feel the same way, though.”

      Michael let out a bitter chuckle. “I highly doubt it.”

      A few moments later, both Ashton and Calum came walking downstairs. Ashton had finally stopped crying, but his eyes were still red, and his cheeks were still stained with tears. Ashton looked at Michael, but Michael only avoided his gaze and walked out of the room. I looked up at Calum, and he only shrugged his shoulders at me.

      “Are you okay, Ashton?” I asked.

      He wiped his eyes with the back of his hand, biting at his bottom lip before nodding. “M’fine. I guess I was being too dramatic. It just hurt my feelings. This whole thing doesn’t make sense.”

      “Don’t take it personally. He’s not talking to anyone right now—it’s not just you he’s ignoring. Right, Luke?” Calum turned to me, and I felt a lump forming in my throat.

      “Right. He hasn’t said a word to me.” I know that it’s wrong of me to lie, but just to spare Ashton’s feelings, I felt like I had to tell them Michael was still ignoring me.