Breakfast Gone Bad

Começar do início

I've been missing out eight years of Jonathans life. Before the attack, me and my two brothers were very close. We did stupid things together, had fun, pranked people. My twelve-year-old self had tried to run with them and their stupid acts since I was seven. And they always included me in what they did, unless I didn't want to.

I haven't seen Tom for eight years either. Just now, I found out both of my brothers are alive and they have families of their own, but again I haven't even had a part in it. I feel guilty, staying in forest all this time, while they lived in foreign packs and got families of their own.

I knew Liam had listened to me debating myself, when he gave my hand a squeeze. It's too bad you can block the mind-link from your pack easily, but blocking it from your mate is actually a lot harder and needs time for it to successfully be handled.

"So, what kind of plans do you have today? Do I have to move out or something?" Ivy asked half-heartedly.

"Um, no you don't. I'm going to my brother's cottage. I offered to babysit for them," I explained.

"Children?"

I chuckled. "No, the sofa."

"There's the sarcastic Kathryn I missed!" Ivy claimed happily and I couldn't help but smile, although I felt guilty inside. Had I really changed so much? I didn't want to lose Ivy as my best friend because of me changing.

Liam squeezed my hand again. "And I've got work to do," he said with disgust.

"Oh? What's going on with the pack then?" Grace asked.

"Not exactly what's going on with the pack. More like what's going to go on if Blue Hills pack doesn't continue holding the treaty," Liam answered bitterly.

For the first time, I saw Alexander raise his head. First he scowled at me and then he looked at Liam. I tuned out of their chat and looked down on my lap, the bitter scowl forever burned into my brain. What have I ever done to him?

It's okay. Liam squeezed my hand again and stroked the back of my hand with his thumb.

No, actually it isn't.

"May I be excused?" I asked softly. Liam gave me an apologetic look.

"Oh, of course, darling," Grace smiled.

"Thank you," I nodded and pushed myself away from the table. I gave Liam one more look, before I dropped his hand and walked out of the dining hall. I walked out of the main house and onto the thin dirt road that went zigzagging between the different cottages, until I saw the one I was looking for.

All the cottages looked different, and Ivy had once told me why. The family men built cottages for their families themselves, with the help of their pack members. It's a way to show commitment to your mate and family. I think it was lovely.

When the parents passed, the house wasn't given to the children. Instead, it was taken appart carefully, so the wood and other materials could be still used from there and the children went to build their own cottages. Only the main house is passed down the bloodline, like it has been for a while.

The one thing that was familiar to me about Jon's cottage, were the markings around the windows. It was a secret language that I, Tom and Jon once made up. I haven't used it in a while, but I knew the word 'Home' kept running around. We basically only made the language to keep secrets from our parents. I liked to keep a diary for example and I wrote everything in the language we made.

I raised my hand and knocked on the door. Only a second later, Jonathan came to the door. "Hey, Noelle!" Jonathan called cheerfully. He has always called me by my middle name, sometimes Elle for a shorter version. He explained himself by saying he wanted to be different.

"Hey, Jon," I smiled. He gestured me inside and I stepped over the small step and looked around the cozy cottage.

"Hey, Kathryn!" Eve cheered. I slipped off my shoes, leaving them next to the door with some others and walked to the livingroom. "You're here early."

"Oh, yes. Just breakfast gone bad," I answered. Eve gave me an apologetic look, understanding that what I said, didn't touch the food.

"Oh yes, Alpha family. I'm afraid that's always going to be slightly awkward and off," Eve said and Jonathan walked to me with a cup of tea. I thanked him silently and took the tea between my palms.

"I hope I don't interrupt, coming so early," I spoke.

Eve smiled and shook her head. "No, of course not. I just finished feeding Belle and Michael is playing in his room. If you might need anything, Jon's cellphone number is on the fridge. Michael sleeps in his room, but Belle sleeps in ours at the moment. And I hope you can make something up when Michael demands food."

"Oh, yes of course. I used to cook for my brothers even though they were older," I chuckled and Jonathan nudged my shoulder.

"I'm still not allowed in the kitchen," he added, pouting, and pressed a kiss on Eve's cheek, who smiled brightly.

"Of course you're not. You burn water," Eve laughed. I giggled and nodded, sipping my tea.

Jon pouted again and this time Eve kissed him. "Much better," Jon hummed gently and smiled. Eve giggled and sat Belle sitting on the sofa, off of her hip.

"We better get out of the house, Jon. Before Kathryn's not-so-innocent eyes see more."