1.7 | Not Broken + Intimidation & Looks

Začať od začiatku

This might be the first time I see a flash of anger in his eyes. His dangerous step towards me instantly chills my bones, scaring me. I scurried back a couple of steps. As if realizing, he took that step back and ran a frustrated hand through his hair before speaking in a much more composed tone.

"Sweetpea, you are not a broken thing that I want to fix. I don't believe that at all and you shouldn't see yourself that way either. I have already told you many times today. I. Just. Want. To. Help. Why... is it so hard for you to believe that?"

He really sounded like he wanted me to believe him, expected me to, but it was so much easier said than done.

I answered honestly, "Because, people like you do not help people like me out of the goodness of their heart."

He looked confused at first, as if wanting to question what I even meant by saying that. But he was quick to shed that confusion and answer back, "Then just believe I don't have a heart if it'll be easier for you to accept it. Make up whatever image you want to, I least care. You are Kripa's friend. You matter to her and she matters to me. Thus, you matter to me. Now will you stop doubting me? It won't work with me or anyone else if you won't stop looking for the worst in people."

In a daze, I nodded. It might be the most I have heard him speak and the way he says it... looking right into my eyes, it forces me to nod. People don't usually lie looking people straight in the eye. For now, I believed him. I was willing to do that because I could not think of any other reason why he would want to help.

As it was, I had accepted it. Kripa was the medium between us and we weren't going to rid ourselves of each other any time soon. We would always see each other. There would be many such days... years even until we graduate. Might as well try and make the most of the time.

He nodded back, "We'll start tomorrow. Get all the peaceful sleep you can tonight."

My brows narrowed in confusion, "What do you mean?" He raised a brow and I murmured, "Right, no questions."

That was the deal. He wouldn't ask me any questions of my past. I wouldn't ask him any questions over his plan on how to help me.

He informed, "I'll walk you to your apartment."

It wasn't an offer and nothing I said would make him do otherwise. Thus, I did not even bother to start an argument here.

Just as we reach the door, he spoke again. "Meet me at the café tomorrow at 2."

"I have a class till 2:30."

He rolled his eyes, "Sweetpea, waiting for thirty minutes isn't going to kill me when you made me wait three hours today. Or wait, are you chickening out already?"

I did not appreciate his tone or his challenge. Ofcourse, I don't know why I cared because in the past couple years, I had gotten better at not getting caught up. Or so I thought. I wasn't able to avoid a challenge as well as I thought. Just look at the New Year's resolution challenge Riddhima wrapped me up in.

I scoffed, "Huh, no!"

"Then be there." He took a step toward me and I again walked backwards.

"Fine." I snapped thinking he would move back. I grew wary when he took a second step towards me. Then, his hand went behind me to turn the door knob and my body instantly relaxed when I saw he was simply opening the door for me.

I do need to stop assuming the worst will happen at every action.

His voice was low, almost a whisper as he shifted back, "Good night, sweet pea."