Chapter 5

Spending all my nights alone, waiting for you to call me

You're the only one I want by my side when I fall asleep

Tell me what I'm waiting for

I know it's hard, but we need each other

Know it's hard, but we need each other

-SUGAR- BROCKHAMPTON

It was his first day back at school in several months, and not by choice. Unfortunately for him, the humans were beginning to take notice of his prolonged absence, his 'sick' excuse only appeared credible for a few weeks without any documented hospital visits. And the last thing he needed was Child Protective Services paying Carlisle and Esme a visit.

So, he swallowed his exhaustion and packed his backpack dreadfully for what he knew was going to be longest day of his existence.

He sat in his biology class in a surly mood. Mr Branner had slumped into the room and meekly ordered the class of rowdy seventeen-year olds to map out the process of DNA replication with their lab partners.

He had finished the work in minutes and without a word slid the paper towards Bella's side of the desk.

Through the corner of his eye he could see, as well as feel Bella staring at him with what he could only describe as longing. He could tell that she still felt dissatisfied over last night's sudden confession, but even more over his reaction to it.

Instead of confronting Bella about her misplaced affections, Edward chose to ignore the chestnut girl's stares today, he was in no mood to entertain her idle crush.

But without the assigned work as a distraction, Edward did not know what to do with himself. He tried to focus his attention on the educational poster behind Mr Branner's head but to his utter dismay he could not block out one particular conversation that was taking place across the room.

"Do you think he killed her?" Mike asked His lab partner, Emery Park, who didn't seem to be entertaining the Newton boy's wild theories.

"Mike, shut up." Emery muttered, uninterestedly as he scribbled away diligently at his note pad, but Mike was relentless.

"People don't just disappear," He said, waving his pencil around thoughtlessly. "And you've got to admit there's something that just not right about Cullen." He slammed his pencil onto his desk determinately. "I'm gonna confront him about it."

"You?" Emery snickered sardonically, without bothering to look up at his lab partner.

"Yeah.... After the period ends." He discloses, narrowing his eyes at Emery's nonchalance.

Emery let out a full-blown chortle this time. Alerting the attention of a couple of students, specifically Jessica Stanley. Her ponytail whipped to the side as she turned around to stare wide eyed at the boys seated behind her.

"What are you guys talking about?" She asked curiously, twirling her hair around her finger.

"Nothing." Mike said the same time Emery blurted out. "Mike's obsessing over Amiyah's absence again."

"More like disappearance." Mike added darkly.

"Dude." Emery breathed out, shaking his head jadedly, while Jessica perked up at the prospect of partaking in some gossip.