Prologue

This wasn't right. None of it was. Michael Carter thought sombrely, nursing the glass of dark liquor in his grip.

After glancing up at the digital clock on his office wall for the umpteenth time he gingerly gulped down the very last remains of the glass.,

His head was pounding from the overthinking and stress in addition with the copious amounts of alcohol he had consumed in just the hour.

He had isolated himself in his office for over a day now trying to find a way to fix his mess. The future of his company and the lives of everyone he had ever loved were in jeopardy and he had no idea what to do.

His hand reached for the bottle of whiskey on his desk simultaneously as a pink haze appeared in his office.

Michael released a deep sigh as his imprudent, younger sister materialised from her signature smog.

"Eloise." He greeted his sister civilly, aware of the current state of his office yet trying to uphold some sort of dignity.

"You look like a mess." She voiced haughtily, laying her purse onto his desk and taking a poised seat on the chair facing his.

He laughed bitterly and took another swing from his glass. "Well, preparing for Armageddon can shake any man."

Eloise clucked her tongue as she stared at her freshly manicured nails. "I must say, it doesn't look like you've been doing much preparing, Mr CEO."

The hostility was clear in her tone, but Michael had no intention of taking part in their typical sibling repartee, at least not right now.

"Why are you here?"

"Why don't you finish your drink first? She said , not meeting her eyes with his."

Michael stared questionably at his sister. "What did you do?"

She allowed a pregnant pause to pass between them before answering. "I just saved your daughter's life."

Michael's chest constricted tightly.

"Eloise, what are you talking about?"

"I sent her somewhere they'd never find her." She admitted carefully. "You do recall you saying that they were coming after all of us? Well, I thought it would be wise to hide away the only member of this family that can't protect themselves."

"She has no part in this." He tried to argue against his sister's reasonings.

"Get over yourself." She replies dismissively. "You and I both know that this is the only way."

"'No!" His fist pounded onto his desk brashly. "There are other ways." He said in near desperation.

His sister stared at him with unwavering apprehension. "Oh, do enlighten me brother. Perhaps you've come up with a plan? I'd be happy to hear just how you intend on keeping those monsters from burning everything to the ground."

Michael's eyes shut despairingly. He laid his head into his cusped hands, feeling as if tension was eating away at him. He knew his sister was right. The only way Amiyah would be safe was if she were untraceable in this world.

"Where have you taken her?" He asked, resignedly.

"Some young adult novel, it's perfectly safe, very vanilla. Bridget was supposed to visit it awhile back to make sure everything was running along smoothly, but she had that leg surgery. So, you know, killing two birds with one stone...It took a bit of convincing, and the promise of a large pay check. But I told her that she had a job to do, and she was more than happy to accept it."

"Tracee will never agree to this." Michael disclosed fervently.

Eloise rolled her eyes at the mention of the girl's mother. "She's on some work retreat for the weekend. I'll deal with her when she comes back.

Michael narrowed his eyes at his sister. She had never been fond of Tracee when the two of them were together. He doubted that her feelings for the woman had been subdued over time.

"So, what do we do now." He asked his youngest sister who obviously was handling the situation much better that him.

''We wait, and we hope this all doesn't blow up in our faces.''

Hey guys! I hope you enjoy Transcendence. I am so sorry for the long wait!