The Truth Comes Out of the Mouth

Matty was sitting in the back of the club waiting for her mother to finish. It was late and she had been dragged along because her mom could not pay the night at the club. She had planted herself at one of the makeup stations with her homework in front of her. Matty had not done much of her homework before she started to play around with the makeup. Now her eyes were covered in orange and pink. Her phone had been chirping a couple of times. Matty picked up staring at the messages:

Nate

Where are you?

Jules

Hey!

Matty stared at the two messages. They were two totally different people. Matty enjoyed Jules company and found they both had so many similar likes. The two girls would hang out and watch their favorite shows or videos. She had even gotten to know Rue better. The thing that these girls did not know the full extent of her life. Nate was the one that pushed his way into her dirty laundry. Nate was harsh but somehow she had became close to. Matty had put her foot down on anything physical with him. He would often come get her from places when her mother left her with no help or would kick her daughter out.

The relationship really confused her especially because Nate would talk to her about how much he wanted her. Matty would simply ignore him or tell him to piss off. The boy was adamant about her but he never pushed her too far. She would probably call him a friend even though she knew that he wanted so much more from her. Matty felt bad especially because she actually liked Maddy. She wished that she could say that she did not like the fiery girl but she was someone Matty enjoyed talking to. The two girls could be invincible together and they knew it.

Matty pulled up a message before typing back:

Waiting for my mom at the club.

She started to gather her stuff and then heard her phone go off. Matty looked at it.

Nate

I'm close by... come sleepover. Nothing weird, I promise.

Matty sighed and could hear the loud musics from the speakers. She wanted nothing then to go home to a warm bed. Something that she didn't even have. She bit her lip.

Only this one time

Matty continued to gather her stuff before grabbing a lipstick and writing on her mom's mirror: went to a friends. She added a heart at the end and slipped her backpack on. Matty ran out the back door and saw the familiar headlights.

They both had not said much on the way back to his house. Matty slipped out of the truck and ran upstairs to his room. It was late and she was avoiding running into his parents. She really hasn't had any conversation or anything with them. One time Matty ran into his mother in the bathroom but she didn't say anything. Matty bit her lip thinking how familiar this was all becoming.

"Here" Nate said throwing a shirt at her.

She caught it and looked at him, "turn around" she told him.

"why" he asked with a smirk.

"Nate"

"fine" he said turning around.

Matty slipped her shirt off hating herself for not wearing a bra. She slipped his shirt over her head and then slipped off her leggings. Matty jumped on his bed.

Nate turned to look at her, "something about a beautiful girl in my bed"

"Like your girlfriend?" she asked as he slipped in next to her.

Nate turned to look at her, "I'll gladly get rid of Maddy for you"

"what is it about me?" she asked

"don't ask stupid questions" he told her as he switched off his light. Matty felt his hand trailing up her thigh to her butt.

She swatted it away, "sweet dreams Nate"

"already sweet here with you baby" he said quietly into her ear.

When Matty had awoken that morning, there were big arms all around her. Her back was pressed against a chest. Matty frowned and tried to wiggle her way out the grasp.

"stop moving" she heard mumbled against her shoulder and then felt kisses being planted on them.

"Nate stop" she said, "come on. I got stuff to do"

"Like what?" he asked still hanging onto her.

"I'm going to Jules" she told him and fixed up her smudge makeup.

"why"

"well Nate I want to have friends other than you" she told him, "thanks for letting me sleep here".

She had walked to Jules's house from Nate's. Matty was wearing Nate's shirt and her leggings. Her hair was put up in a ponytail. She knocked on the door and heard the footsteps. Jules pulled open the door and pulled her inside. The two girls went upstairs to Jules's room. Matty looked around and fell upon the bed, "how are you?" she asked

"I'm good. Why didn't you answer my text last night?" Jules asked

"I got busy"

"busy doing what?" Jules said wiggling her eyebrows

"I was helping my mom at the club" Partially a lie and partially the truth.

"club?"

"Yeah my mom's a dancer" Matty answered, "I thought you knew this"

"I heard rumors but I thought it was just a rumor"

"My mom is indeed a dancer and is indeed do a lot of the things people talk about" Matty said with a shrug.

"wow" Jules said and then looked at her, "Is that why we never go to your house?"

Matty laughed, "no. I live in a motel" she told her. Matty had never really said it out loud about her mom. It was a weird feeling to finally admit that this was her life. It was what she was raised around.

"wanna watch this new anime I found"

"Hell yeah" Matty told her.