Prologue

The first time that Nate Jacobs had ever seen Matty Lynn was in kindergarten. He was interested in the tan skin, wide brown eyes, pouty lips but the thing that interested him was the quietness that surrounded the girl. She was gorgeous but wanted nothing then to hide in the background. He noticed how all the children avoided or teased the girl. 

Matty Lynn had always been a child that was hated by most. She was an outsider by many different situations that she never really had a choice over. Matty was an only child by a single mother who had anything but a normal job. She had heard the whispers as a child for parents telling their children to stay away from her. Her mother was a dancer at a local club and most women felt threatened by her. Matty had grown up surrounded by women that danced their way through life.  

Matty's mother was a women that worked hard but she got a lot of things by her looks. She was a beautiful woman and Matty followed her in a  similar suit. Her mother had dealt with a lot of the bullshit with no help especially with her daughter. Matty's father was never around and Matty did not even know if he knew that she existed. Her mother, Lydia, had been abandoned by her parents when they found out she was pregnant. Matty's mother always told her it is just better the two of them. They had a weird relationship and Matty spent a lot time alone by herself which was alright with her. Her mother had taught her a lot about being alone and not having anyone to rely on. 

Matty had first moved here in the beginning of the year. She had shown up to the first day of kindergarten in light blue, her favorite color. The girl had walked to school from the motel that they were staying at. Matty packed a lunch of a peanut butter sandwich and a chocolate milk that she had gotten a convince store. 

The girl was definitely not welcomed to the class where most had spent preschool together. She was an outsider almost everywhere in her life so she tended to stay quiet hoping no attention would be on her. Matty was gorgeous and she tended to stand out against most children. She had taken notice to one child that always seem to be watching her. He never really said anything to her just seemed to watch the girl. 

Near the end of the year, Matty was getting teased by an older boy during playtime. Matty was ignoring him as he yelled at her and pulled at her braids. She kept her head high as she tried to walk away from him. She suddenly heard a thump and sound of cries. Matty turned around to look at the scene. Her eyes widen seeing Nate Jacobs standing over the boy yelling at him. 

Matty stared at the boy before suddenly he was in her face. She stared up at him, "Why did you do that?" she asked

"I can do what I want" he replied before running off.