Chapter eleven

Chapter eleven

Adelaide

The blue light was there for a second and then suddenly it was gone. We were standing on a patch of grass on a bank of a river, next to a bridge. The sound of the water flowing gently down the river was quite peaceful. I smiled looking up, the sun gloriously starting to warm up the day. I turned to Lukas and Hugh hunched over, their faces going a little green.

Thorunn sat on the grass laughing at them, "Teleportation. A little gift from the Queen to save a bit of time, some people just can't handle it." He nodded to the boys, "You seem to be dealing with it okay."

I nodded surprised, "Yeah I feel fine, though I wish I knew where we are." Looking across the bridge the grass ends and hard earth and rock begins. The rock begins to rise and I realise we are at the board between the Mountain and the Forest. Their boarder was so clean and neat while the boarders between the Forest and the Capital are quite fuzzy because we have the King's Wood which turns into the Forest.

"That's the Mountain, or at least the beginning of it. It's a very steep climb, one I don't think the horses can make." Thorunn assessed the Mountain and I looked around for them.

"Hence why the Queen didn't bother sending them..." I sighed, hoping Arya won't hate me for leaving her.

"C'mon then." I grabbed my stuff and looked at the two boys, "You two sooks going to be okay or we going to leave you behind?" I smirked at Hugh and Lukas who were leaning against the bridge.

"Shut up Adelaide." Lukas groaned at me and I laughed loudly.

"That's the first time you haven't called me m'lady." I grinned at him and he nodded at me, keeping his head down. Looking at Hugh, I saw the colour was coming back into his cheeks but he still didn't look great.

"You alright Hugh? Not going to be sick?"

"If I am, I'm aiming for you." He winked at me and I rolled my eyes as we crossed over the bridge onto the Mountain's side.

As soon as you stepped over the bridge, you could almost feel the change in the atmosphere. Since I'd never been to the Mountain this was all new for me. The Forest was such a safe haven, such a family oriented feel, even though I wasn't from there I still felt connected. Here in the Mountain, I could feel the power radiating off the ground and from the bottom I could hear the dragons. My heart began to race as I'd always dreamed of owning and flying a dragon, even though there is a special ritual to owning a dragon.

We began walking up the Mountain, sticking to the paths we walked up, the Mountain rocky and unstable.

The boys recovered from their motion sickness but the Mountain was so tall and steep, we all knew after a hour or two, we wouldn't make the journey.

"I hate this." Hugh murmured and I nodded in agreement.

"Is there anything you could do?" I asked Thorunn and he shook his head. Lukas was lying on the floor dying. He screamed loudly in frustration, loud enough for me to jump in fright.

Suddenly from a distance I heard thumping, looking to the sky I couldn't see anything, but the noise was there. The flapping noise grew louder and even Lukas sat up, noticing it.

"That's not just me hearing that then?" I asked still looking around, walking to the edge.

"No I hear it, think it is a bird?" Lukas asked standing up, groaning as he stretched his muscles. I shook my head looking down.

"No, maybe it's a griffin." The boys all looked confused and I smiled at them, "you know? Head and wings of an eagle and a body of a lion. I've always wanted one but apparently they are extinct." I frowned looking up and I screamed as a huge creature flew straight down. I jumped backwards, falling onto my bum and a thunderous roar erupts from the creature.