Chapter 35

I'm at the base of a set of stairs, holding a small bouquet that Jane handed me a few minutes ago, and listening to the opening strains of the processional song that I asked the crew to play from the stereo system. The ethereal sound of Landon Pigg's "If I'm Saying Nothing" emanates from the sundeck above my head.

It's my cue to move, but goosebumps ripple across my entire body as a mild terror takes hold, freezing me in place.

The yacht is swaying, my legs feel shaky, my hands are sweating, and I'm a little bit buzzed from the champagne I had on my empty stomach.

Frankly, I'm afraid I'm going to trip and kill myself on the way up.

Talk about a metaphor for my life.

So I stand there for the moment to just listen to the words of the song. They buoy me, and soon I feel like I'm floating along with them.

Suddenly, I'm at the top of stairs on the sundeck, turning towards where Fin awaits me.

In his midnight tuxedo he cuts an absolutely striking figure against the sky, which is flooded by a rainbow hued sunset. Fin looks as solid and sure as the dark buildings of the Manhattan skyline in the distance.

My God he is so gorgeous!

He smiles at me, with his slightly crooked incisors, and he puts his hand over his heart and mouths, "Stunning!"

I can't help but smile back.

When I get closer, I hand Jane my flowers and Fin takes my hands in his.

I look into his eyes. They are the color of a wooden ship's wheel, well-polished and gleaming darkly in the dusky paper lantern light that surrounds us.

These are the eyes that will help steer my course towards our still uncharted future. I study his face, trying to memorize that smile and these eyes, wanting to always call into mind this exact way he's looking at me.

Then I realize that his eyes are so glossy because they're actually as misty as the ocean spray that is kicking up against the sides of the boat as we cruise along.

My own eyes begin to well-up now too, and I bite my lip to try to avoid the waterworks. But the more I try to fight it, the harder my chin quakes.

When the song begins repeating "Love is forever, say it again..." some tears finally escape and slide down my cheeks.

Fin let's go of a hand, reaches over and gently wipes one away with his thumb, but another immediately follows.

He pulls me into an embrace and kisses it from my cheek. "It's okay, love."

More gentle kisses rain onto my cheeks. "Really, Millie, it's fine if you don't want to do this tonight."

I shake my head and try to compose myself enough to say something, but I can't get anything more than a sniffle out.

Fin continues to speak. "If this is all too much we can stop. We can just date and take our time. Whatever amount of work it takes, we'll get back to this. I know it. You're worth waiting for."

He turns toward the Captain. "It looks like we won't need..."

Before he can finish his sentence, I grab the shawl collar of his tux and press my lips to his, sharing the salty taste of tears and sea. Fin's arms twine around me and I feel him exhale. All the tension in my body melts away and within an instant we are kissing each other like we don't have an audience.

The distinctive sound of Paul clearing his throat reminds us that we do, so we pull apart, and look around.

His brother is red-faced, and I can't tell if he's angry or just embarrassed by our public display of affection. Jane is beaming, and taking pictures, or maybe even video, with my phone.