Chapter 29

My phone dings as step into the reception area. I smile as I read Fin's text.

Good Luck at lunch with Jane. Paul's flight just landed safely. He's taking a car to my hotel and I'll meet him there after rehearsals. Also - I miss you.

There isn't a moment to respond as a second text arrives just as I go through the glass doors into the elevator bank. This one is from Jane.

In front of your building.

I push the button for the elevator and type while I wait.

Down in a minute.

Back to Fin's text. I start to answer, but the elevator arrives. I get on and that's when I hear him.

"Wait!"

I push the 'close doors' button, it lights up red. The panels begin to glide together.

"Millie please!"

His hand wedges in between the metal just in time. An alarm starts to buzz and the doors open enough for Carter to squeeze through into the enclosure with me before they close completely this time.

He's out of breath. His question comes between puffs. "Can we talk?"

The idea that he ran after me, down the spiral stairs and past the receptionists, makes me uncomfortable.

I move a step further away from him with a huff. "I don't have the time or the patience for this right now Carter. I'm meeting my roommate for lunch."

"I'm sorry. I know you were out sick yesterday, so I'm sure you have a ton of work to finish after lunch." He takes another step towards me in the tiny space.

Another step back of my own and now I'm against the wall. "Yes, exactly."

Carter doesn't move closer and doesn't say anything yet. The look on his face reminds me of the way he would glare at me on Miranda's poker nights. I haven't been to a one in a long time, but those games were a great way to learn about my colleagues. I hope my skills aren't rusty.

Then he finally opens. "Listen, the other day when Fin was in to see Abe..."

"You mean the day you insinuated to Fin that something was going on between the two of us?"

I'm out of turn. It's a snap call and maybe a tell. But despite being angry, I managed to keep my voice neutral. After all, I don't want to show my whole hand while Carter decides to call or fold.

The elevator stops on another floor. Three people get on. Carter and I shuffle closer to each other. Side-by-side now, I stare straight ahead.

He turns his head to read me. "I wasn't insinuating. I told him there was because there is."

"No there isn't." My voice is a little too loud and the man in front of me glances over his shoulder. I scowl. This elevator ride feels endless.

Another floor, another stop, and more people get on. Carter is shuffled still closer. His hand brushes against mine.

"I asked you if I could take your script to Abe. Meanwhile, he insinuated to Abe that the project was already his. Who's the person trying to keep you off the table here?"

That's when I look up at him. He raises his eyebrows at me.

"You're going to be made into a railbird Millie! And I don't want to see you just sitting there watching while everyone else around you places their bets and makes their moves. It's your hard work that's the pot here. And it can be a huge fucking pot! If played right, you could get five hundred grand against another five hundred."

I laugh. "There's no way anyone will give me million dollars for a spec script. I'm an unknown. I'll get the short stack."

The elevator finally arrives at the bottom. Everyone spills out like coins from a slot machine. We move with them toward the revolving doors. But Carter grabs my hand to stop me before I go through them. He points to the photographers milling around outside. There are two more now in addition to the couple from earlier.

"Wake-up Millie! You're not going to be an unknown for long. You can use that to your advantage if you want to raise the stakes. The truth is that he's splashed your pot. But please make sure you don't get low-balled. You deserve someone that will go all-in for you. I might be the underdog but I know I can win this hand for you. Let me dump my chips in for you."

I nod my head. "I'll think about it."

Carter drops my hand. "I'm advertising myself to you because we're under the gun here. You have to act fast. Please don't tank. And try not to tilt, like me."

I'm not familiar with that last poker term. "Tilt?"

"When you let your emotions cloud your play and make a stupid move. I don't know what it is about you Millie, but you knock me off kilter." He smirks at me.

I still don't know if he's bluffing so I say the only thing I can think of. "I'm sorry."

Carter smiles. "Apology not accepted."

He turns and walks back to the elevators.

My phone is still in my hand. I look at the message from Fin once more. Then I look out the doors and see Jane waiting there, her back to my building, tapping her foot.

I type.

Thanks. Crazy day here. Good luck with Paul.

I pause and close my eyes to picture Fin's face. His lips are full and smiling, with his slightly crooked teeth. His eyes crinkle softly at the edges. When he closes them, his lashes are long and as soft as feathers. I can almost feel his beard in my palms, oddly it is both coarse and soft.

Then I take a deep and open my eyes to add more.

XOXO

I press the green button. The electronic whoosh tells me my words are travelling through the air, like magic.

As I push into the revolving doors, I wish that everything else in life was that easy.