Chapter 23

As the elevator descends toward the lobby my stomach sinks with it.

The doors slide open. One deep breath through my nose and I step out to inspect the space. No one seems to pay any attention to me, so I walk toward the doors. Through the mirrored glass I recognize a handful of photographers loitering on the sidewalk across the street. I hesitate.

Will they recognize me if I walk out right now?

I berate myself in a whisper, "Of course they will! That's their job, stupid."

Quickly I turn my back to the doors and move toward the concierge counter, preparing to ask if there's another exit I can use. But someone claps their hands and calls out "Conmigo por favor!"

A group of tourists assemble around their guide, and a moment later they begin following her little flag out of the building. On an impulse I join in with them.

I smile at the nearest couple. "Hola. Coma esta?" They smile back. "Buenos dias! Estamos maravillosa."

As the group squeezes through the doors, I become more concealed amongst them. I look at my phone to avoid attention from across the street.

The guide turns right, while I need to turn left. But it feels safer to stay camouflaged and walking the extra block is a small price to pay.

When we reach the corner I split from the group and hurry to find the garage where Mike waits. I glance over my shoulder a few times to make sure the paps didn't follow me. The staccato beat of my heart pounds in my temples.

I add the feeling into a vault so I can take it out and examine it later. It might prove useful if I have to write a chase scene in a mystery or thriller one day, maybe a spy story.

My phone rings as I spot the "EZ 24 HR Parking" sign. Fin doesn't wait for me to say hello.

"Are you okay? Mike says you aren't there yet."

"I blended in with a tour group, so I went the long way around. I'm here now. I see Mike standing by the car. He's waving at me."

The suffocating heat and stench embrace me as I walk down the driveway. I exhale and then inhale deeply, welcoming the acrid exhaust and gasoline fumes that permeate the underground space.

The sounds echo down here. Doors slam, alarms bloop, keys rattle, and a horn blasts, bouncing across the cement walls and over the metal cars. They blend together to create a cocktail of noise.

I barely hear Fin over it. "Brill! Do you want me to stay on the phone with you?"

"No. I'm okay. I'll see you in a minute."

"I'm going to chivvy myself along then."

He hangs up as Mike opens the car door for me.

"Hey Millie. You okay? Looking a bit green around the gills..."

Suddenly I'm aware of how uncomfortably sweaty I am.

"I'll be fine after I lay down in the air conditioning for a minute."

I accept Mike's extended hand to I climb in. Then he nods and shuts the door behind me.

The third row of the Escalade is like a sensory deprivation tank - blessedly dark and silent inside. I lay my head down on black leather. It is cool against my cheek, but the scent is warm in my nostrils. The contrast is comforting.

I hear Mike's door open and shut, and then the engine roar awake beneath us. I feel the car tilt up the incline before it levels off again on the street. It isn't quite as dark as it was, but the heavily tinted windows still offer me plenty of protection.

Soon we stop again. The back door opens and the shouts outside invade the interior, rupturing my brief peace. I try to shrink further into the bench.

Fin slams the door closed. "Let's go Mike."

He looks ahead but reaches his arm behind him towards me. I stretch my arm out and take his hand.

The car surges forward and I realize that I'm not wearing a seatbelt.