Chapter 33

My hands won't stop shaking.

The two glasses of champagne that Jane insisted I drink haven't helped the matter. In fact, I think they made things worse. My insides are bubbling and I'm finding it extra difficult to put my Grandmother's pearl earrings into my lobes.

A knock on the cabin door startles me and I drop the family heirlooms. They skitter across the top of the dresser, bounce onto the floor, and out of sight. "Damn it!"

I've had possession of these treasures since the last time I wore them, at my college graduation. Losing them today of all days, would feel like a jinx. My knees hit the ground and I start to hunt for them.

Jane looks at me, shaking her head. "I'll get it."

I hear her open the door while I'm behind the bed, in a bathrobe, patting around on the marble floor.

A British voice says, "Hello. I'm Fin's brother Paul. You must be Amelia's friend Jane."

Jane responds, "You hit the nail on the head. Pleasure to meet you."

"Pleasure, might be a stretch. Peculiar, is much more accurate when your brother calls to tell you to hop a last minute red-eye from Heathrow because he's getting married the next day, to a woman you've never met and he's only known for about a month."

I stop running my hands under the edges of the dresser, resisting the urge to reveal to Paul that I've just heard him. But he's not saying anything that isn't the truth, so I press myself lower to the floor and peer under the skirt of the bed instead.

Jane snorts. "No sweat. I'm sure I took the news much less graciously than you did at first."

I snicker softly and bite my lip at Jane's candor.

Paul clears his throat. "I... Um... I've brought a few things for Amelia."

"Oh I can take them and give them to Millie." Jane's voice is suddenly extra chipper.

It's her fake voice and now I know she's not happy with something. I'm extremely curious to see what Paul is holding.

"I'd much rather put them into her hands directly, and introduce myself."

"One minute. Let me make sure she's decent." Jane's voice has an icy edge to it.

The door closes just as my eyes spot the glimmer of eighteen karat gold. My relief at the earrings recovery gives me the strength to steel myself for whatever is next.

Jane looks at me with a frown. "He has a present from Fin, and a manila folder. Are you prepared to see whatever's in there? I mean... like what if it's a bribe, or some sordid pictures or something?"

I straighten my robe and tighten the belt. "I'm ready as I'll ever be, for whatever Paul throws at me. But seeing as he's a barrister, and lead counsel for Infinite Cove, I'm sure it's just some paperwork."

"If you say so. I'll step in there to finish my makeup and give you some privacy." She points towards the en-suite bathroom, then raises her eyebrows. "Unless you want me to stay?"

"I've got this. Don't worry." With a quick hug, I gently push her towards the bathroom.

One more deep breath before I open the door to see Paul.

He looks nothing like Fin. He's taller, and less muscular. Their faces are different shapes. Paul's is oblong, while Fin's is more heart-shaped because of his widow's peak. Paul's brown hair is straight, streaked with grey, and cropped short. Finally, Paul's eyes, while brown, don't speak to me at all in the way that Fin's do.