Chapter 45 - Josh's Birthday

Maya wakes up to the sound of her alarm and switches it off.
She sighs as she rolls over and sits up.
She can't believe that she has to face everyone all over again.
She doesn't have the strength for this one.
She had to face everyone and now she doesn't even know if she can face her parents.
She climbed put of bed and got dressed before heading to the front.

"Morning Sweetie. How'd you sleep?" Shawn asked.
"Okay-is. Got a call late the night from the gang to apologize for their behavior but I know the girls set them up. I don't want to think about that right now," Maya said and her phone rang.

"The birthday boy is up early. How's it going?" Maya asked.
"I'm good. You seem good," Josh said.
"My friends are driving me crazy with calls at midnight," Maya said.
"Shame. You must feel exhausted," Josh said.
"Kinda. You remember about the party tonight?" Maya asked.
"Yeah everyone do. I won't miss it. Just give me a message to remind me," Josh said.
"Yeah okay. Listen I have to go. I want to pop in at Riley's before school."
"Okay good luck Gorgeous. Bye," Josh said and Maya put her phone away.

"Okay I gotta go. Riley texted me saying she wants to see me before class at her place. I'll see you guys tonight," Maya said and was gone.

~

"Listen Riley are you sure this is a smart idea? We don't want to overwhelm either of them. Besides I don't think Maya wants something like that," Cory said.
"She can't have it her way Dad. Not all the way. Josh is now..."
"Don't you dare. I've had enough from your boyfriend. Why do you want to see me?"
"You're in a good mood," Riley said.
"Yeah cause certain people like to wake me up at eleven," Maya said.
"Maya!" Auggie said and Maya picked up the little guy.
"Hey Buddy. Excited to see Uncle Josh?" Maya asked.
"I can't go," Auggie said.
"Why?" Maya asked.
"That's what we wanted to talk to you about. Plans have changed," Riley said and Maya put Auggie down.
"How come?" Maya asked.
"We are just having a small party at some teenage place with his family," Riley said and Maya sigh as she left.
"Maya wait," Cory said.
"No if you want to exclude me that's fine. I'll babysit Auggie then you don't have to find one. I'm going to school," Maya said.

~

Later the afternoon at school.

Maya was just looking through some magazines while she listened to Rucas and Smarkle talking. (Pairing of Riley/Lucas and Farkle/Smackle.)

"So is Maya meeting us at the bakery?" Lucas asked.
"Says she has stuff to do. Baby stuff. Wants to get everything sorted out. Listen guys. We can get used to it now. She is too busy for her friends," Riley said.

"According to who?" Maya asked and Riley turned around.
"First you exclude me in my boyfriend's party and now you want to separate me from my friends," Maya said and looked at Riley.
"You know what Riley? I'm done. You can do what you want. I'm done with all of you," Maya said and left.

~

At the apartment Maya was looking after Auggie and Ava while they were playing.
She enjoyed whenever she could watch the little guy.
She's known him all his life and he feels like her own brother.
She was just doing some homework while there was silence.
Suddenly the Matthews come through the door with Riley and Josh.

"And now?" Maya asked confused at what is going on.
"Now one of you six are gonna tell me what is going on. Because I'm not going to be made a fool of. Something is going on," Josh said and Maya stood up gathering her stuff.
"Maya can you please tell me what is going on?" Josh asked.
"Riley is excluding me in the stuff they do. Your birthday, hanging out with my friends. Every excuse is I'm busy with baby stuff. She and your brother told me this morning about the new plans so I decided to watch the kids," Maya said.
"If you are doing that this is the last time you organize anything. Why on earth are you excluding Maya?" Josh asked and Riley looked at her feet.
"Because I'm an embarrassment. Being associated with me is an embarrassment. You are mad at the guys while you do exactly the same," Maya said.

She took her friendship ring off and threw it on the table.
She then grabbed her backpack and ran past Josh.

"Cornelius who's plan was this? Yours or your daughter's?" Josh asked.
"We thought it would be best if only family is involved," Cory said.
"Oh where was your son then? You are using him to keep Maya from me. And you are using the pregnancy as an excuse so you don't have to be embarrassed by her. Mom, Dad I'm sorry about the confusing. I suggest you guys go back home. This whole thing is a disaster and I don't want you guys suffering," Josh said.
"How can we help?" Alan asked.
"You can't. Each time something like this is arranged they're going to exclude her. And I'm not going to allow that because Maya is a part of my life whether you like it or not," Josh said.

"And that's why I didn't want her to get involved with you in the first place. You think you know what she's going through? You know nothing," Riley said and Josh left before he lost his temper.