Chapter 32: Extremis

Start from the beginning

"And your something else." I mumbled as I looked at the ground. Killian sat down and opened a case that he had brought in with him.

"You have met him, I assume?"

"Yeah." I nodded. He turned to me.

"I know he's a little over the top sometimes, but it's not entirely my fault. He's a stage actor. Anyway, the point is, ever since that big dude with the hammer fell out of the sky, subtleties kinda had their day."

"What's next for you and your world?" I asked. I could feel the blood from my cut move down my face slowly. It was kinda annoying me.

"I wanted to repay you, the same gift you graciously imparted to me." He raised his closed fists. He reached down and rolled three balls from each had in front of me. He grabbed the control and pressed a button. The first three showed Pepper, and the other three showed Hope. I felt my world slowly start to crash. No. Pepper's skin glowed a bright orange. She had her eyes shut closed tightly in pain. My eyes begin to tear up.

 My eyes begin to tear up

"Tony, make it stop!"

I flinched as I read her lips. She was calling our for me, and I can't save her. I looked over to Hope. She looked the exact
same, but she had her eyes opened. She looked right at the camera I saw a crack in the projector.

"She's a fighter... she injured one of the scientists." Killian stared at the two women. My breath hitched. She didn't look as fazed as Pepper. Almost like it wasn't new to her. She has been through more then this. I watched the two most important people in my life, scream in pain.

I felt eyes on me, but I didn't care. I felt my breathing become rapid. I pulled on the zip ties. I stared at the two closest people I have to a family. Hope looked at the camera again. I stared into Hope's eyes. They held pain, fear, and sorrow. I felt my breathing pick up. I tried to look away, but I couldn't. She had a growl on her face. She was fighting...

"Desperation. This is live. Not sure if you can tell, but at this moment their bodies are trying to decide whether to accept Extremis, or just... give up. If it's gives up, I have to say, the detonation is quite spectacular. But until that point, really, it's just a lot of pain." I looked at Pepper and she looked as if she was screaming.

"Tony!"

I quickly looked away. My Pep... I'm so, so sorry... I should've tried a bit harder. Stupid me! My eyes found Hope's. She was looking directly at me, or at least it felt like it.

She smiled weakly, but then she screamed in pain. How can she smile?! She always had a smile on her face. I never knew why. She always said no matter what happens... to always find a reason to smile. I don't get how she could always find a good in anything! I looked at Killian and He seemed to noticed I was looking at Hope. They disappeared. My shaking breath was now noticeable. Killian smirked.

"Hope was last minute. I was feeling a bit curious to see if she'll live, you know, giving the fact she has magical powers and all. I wonder if her body can handle all of that power. I was thinking of keeping her, if she survives. She may be more powerful than she already is. I have a feeling she might not survive though... but who knows right? She would make a great weapon, but I don't know... maybe her past might want her back." Killian smirks. I looked down and tried to get my tears to stop before they fall. They did thankfully. I looked at Killian. "We haven't even talked salary yet."

He wrapped his hand around my neck. My eyes widened. I couldn't breath. He got close to my face as his skin turned into a faint orange.

"What kind of perk package are you thinking of?" He smirked at me. I need to help them... I can't lose them. I felt my eyes getting heavy.

"Let him go!" Maya demanded from behind Killian. He let go. I gasped for air and coughed. "Hold on, hold on."

"Maya..." Killian turned. Maya held a injector to her neck.

"I said let him go!" She looked right at Killian. Killian stared right back.

"What are you doing?" He asked her. She was risking her life, for me.

"1200 CC's. A dose half this size, I'm dead." She shook her head.

"It's at times like this, my temper gets tested, somewhat." He explained to me. I looked at Maya. "Maya, give me the injector."

"If I die Killian, what happens to your... soldiers? What happens to your product?" She questioned as she backed up. Killian moves forward. I looked down. I need to get out of here! Pepper... Hope...

"We're not doing this, okay?"

"What happens to you? What happens when you go to hot?" She continued with glossy eyes. Killian stopped walking. He looked back to me and with a smile, he pulled out a gun and shot her. I jumped in surprise. She put her hands over the wound and fell to the ground. Why? I watched as she tried to crawl, but she went limp. I let out another shaky breath.

"The good news is, a high level position has just been vacated." He smirked at me. He meant that for Pepper. I let out a breath. This  is my fault. All my fault.

"You are a maniac." I told Killian. He walked up the stairs.

"No. I'm a visionary, but I do own a maniac. And he takes the stage tonight." He walked out of the room.

I'm going to kill him and get my family back.