Chapter 5: Service

Start from the beginning

He was my consoler in the darkness and I never felt more depending on him than during these months. I told him about my childhood, about all the things I have seen and all the things I still wanted to see. Quite boring compared to his stories, but he listened  and took in my every word. Occasionally, one of us would interrupt the other to ask a question, and we'd run off the topic quickly. It was so nice.

To sum up, he made the days and nights without my husband bearable. I don't know what I would've done without him.

After the first month was over, it became even colder, too cold. Of course Loki had no problem with the cold, you know, the cold never bothered him anyway,  due to his Frost Giant-powers. His clothes were made of several layers of Asgardian leather, sometimes fur. Also to be noted, he offered me an entire set of Asgardian winter wear for women, which was unbearably sweet. I did wear some from time to time.

Nevertheless, I despised the winter. I mean, it was beautiful and stuff, but I was made for beaches and blue skies.

On 5th of November Tom called me finally. It was about 9 p.m. in England, so he was done with shooting for the day.  This call was meant to be special.

"Caroline, my love! How are you?"  His butter melting voice came out of my mobile phone and I pressed it more tightly to my ear. My heart was getting warmer and warmer.

"Okay, I guess. I miss you." 

"I miss you, too. You have no idea how terribly my heart is hurting because of the distance between us. I can never express this kind of pain."

"Captain Nicholls!" I laughed. "I feel ya, but that's a tad too much drama. Anyway, so when are you gonna be done?" 

"It seems as if we have to re-shoot some scenes, so... it will take another month, approximately. They have rescheduled my flight. I'm so sorry, my love."

"It's not your fault, Tom. I'm getting along so far."  No need to mention, it was Loki who kept me sane.  "The most important thing is that you come back to me... I need you."

"Not as much as I need you. Oh, by the way, who's birthday is next week?"

I grinned from ear to ear.

"Miiine."

"Well, we're shooting somewhere in... uh, some kind of forest, I guess? The thing is, they told us to leave our devices back at the hotel, we won't have any signal. Which brings me to... I decided to tell you where to find your present."

"Present? Haven't I told you I don't want presents?"  Don't get me wrong, I loved getting presents, but Tom didn't need to. I didn't have anything to give him back, 'cause what could you gift to someone who stares in awe at a toaster, not knowing what kind of heavenly invention this is?

"And haven't I told you that I won't listen to you? Don't worry, it is just a little, unremarkable present."

"Whatever. Out with it, what is it?"

"How about you go and find it out yourself? Grab a pen and see for yourself."

"Um, okay."  I replied and got a pen and a post-it.

"31 Alice Avenue. Did you write it down?"

"Yup, I got it. Please tell me you haven't bought anything expensive."

"Oh, no, I have to go now. I love you, darling. I miss you so much."

"As do I. I love you, please come back to me."

"I will, soon. Goodbye."

"Bye, Tom."

Then, he hung up.