~Chapter 9~ Good Men

Sean wakes up the next morning from the smell of breakfast being cooked in the kitchen, for a second he forgot who was in the house with him but remembered that Erika is also staying here with him after finding out that she basically lost everything. He got up from the bed, looked out of his window at the rainy sky and picked up his phone from the nightstand; he looked through it to get updates about the weather and what he needs to do for work, then he gets a call from Ashley.

"Hey"

"Hey Sean. My father wanted to tell you himself, but I decided to do it myself"

"What's up?"

"He said that you are free to work from home if you like, I'm guessing because of the storm that's going one right now" she said

"You know, I was just going to call him about that too. It looks like today is a good day to work from home and I'm not even prepared to walk out in this" Sean replied, Ashley laughed.

"Right. I'll let him know; I'll talk with you soon" she said

"Wait! Um... How did you get my number?" he asked

"Oh, I got it from Peter. He nonchalantly gave it to me; I'm guessing he's starting to like you" she chuckled, Sean laughed nervously.

"Yeah... Um, maybe you're right"

"Also, I would love it if you have time to massage my back "Everything went quiet around Sean and his heart starts pounding like a jackhammer on the ground; he wasn't sure what to say about what she said and started sweating. "Did she just... No, no, no, no... Not at all... She didn't just ask for a massage"

"Sean? Sean, are you there?"

"Yeah, I-I'm still here...Um... A massage, huh?"

"Yes, remember I told you about my aches and pains, well it got a little worse on my lower back and I need your assistance"

Sean hesitates "Um... Sure, what day?"

"I was thinking tonight, if it stops raining and if not then we can try tomorrow night. Your choice though" she replied

"Maybe tonight will be good, we'll see if the rain stops soon. Talk to you later" Sean hangs up the phone and slowly laid it down on the nightstand; he leaned his back against the wall, sighed and smiled. He finally got a chance with her, but then thought of Ashley with Jacob and that turned him completely off instantly.

"She's not interested in me... I'm clearly giving my hopes up" he thought to himself and sighed. He walked out of his room, into the kitchen and found Erika in the kitchen still, she looked up at him and smiled, he smiled back at her.

"Morning cupcake" he said leaning on the wall

"Morning Pumpkin Pie. How are you doing?" She said grabbing Sean's plate and handing it to him, he sat down and began eating.

"I'm doing alright, I was told to stay home today and work from home."

"Oh really?" she exclaimed in excitement; Sean nodded.

"But it's a bit because Peter never let anyone work from home and would have certain favorites" he said, Erika shrugged her shoulders.

"Maybe he's starting to like you" Sean rolled his eyes and smiled.

"Well... Peter is having his famous Lexington party in a few days and he asked me to take his daughter" Erika looked at him in surprise and smiled.

"Wow, really? You know how important this is?" Erika said, Sean shakes his head. "You worked for Peter for years and you don't understand how this is! Peter Lexington is one of the wealthiest men in Arcadia, he's over the President okay! Peter allowing you to take his daughter out at one of the biggest parties of the year is an achievement if you ask me; I'm honestly happy for you" she said. After finishing his plate, he walked over to the sink and rinsed out the plate, Erika walked over to him and begins washing her plate, but Sean takes it away from her and looked up at him.

"Why?"

"You cook and I'll clean. It's that simple darling" Sean said with a heartwarming smile, she blushes and looked deeply in his eyes.

"And this is why I love you" she said touching his face.

"Why? Because I'm doing what a man is supposed to do, no need to love me. It's just how I am wired is all" Sean said

"Your modesty is why I love you, Sean. There aren't a lot of men like you and it sucks a lot" She frowned; Sean chuckled.

"I beg to differ... I mean granted there is a low percentage of men that are like me but I'm sure you'll find the right one once you start looking again" Sean insisted

"Well that's the thing... Like last night... I only want you, but if you found someone that can make you happy then I'll step away"

"I really don't want you to feel that way at all; you are a very wonderful woman that has so much waiting for her. Sure, you lost your apartment and don't have anyone else to go to, but you'll get back out there and you have me. You're Erika Pierce, you always bounce back" Erika smiled and kissed him, she broke away.

"What turns good men, like you, cruel?" She asked, Sean sighed.

"Everything from being betrayed to... Powerlessness. Truthfully there's a lot to it than just that" Sean replied.

"Hmm... But not you. You'll always have that goodness in your heart, don't let anyone change you for what you are" she said and walked away from him. Sean watches as she walked away, closed his eyes.