¶Invitation Letter¶

October 3rd, 2021

"You are invited to join the Crystal House for forty days. Solve tasks and puzzles, escape evictions and stand a chance to win $100,000.

Your transportation is fully paid for. The address is 77 Auburn Street, Washington, America.

Don't miss this opportunity."

Mareike

"$100,000 for a few games? People just keep inventing new ways of fraud. Maybe I should let mom handle this one." Mareike muttered, trying to force down her sadness as she crumpled the letter. Sixteen days and no acceptance letter had arrived, instead she got an invitation letter to another continent.

Pausing, she gave it a second thought. All she did was shop alone, and wait for an admission into Harvard that might never come. She glanced back at her guards for today who seemed to be examining something under the black Cadillac; they had not noticed her yet. Mareike picked the letter, smoothed it out and quickly stuffed it into her bra. "It would not hurt to give this a try."

Eryk

"Here, you might need it." A middle aged man said, shoving a pink paper into Eryk's hands as he walked past.

"Umm, no I don't..." He turned back, it seemed the man had disappeared. Seeing no other option, he read the letter briefly before folding it into his front coat pocket with a promise to revisit it afterwards. He picked up two baby diapers, one blue and the other a bright yellow. Did the brand matter? He sighed as he put both into his trolley and moved on to the clothing section. She had specified that Grace wanted a pink gown with lots of ruffles at the end and a bow at the back. All of the dresses here had just that, how would he know which one to pick?

A two month trip didn't seem so bad, considering the transportation expenses had been taken care of. All he needed to do was make sure this didn't turn out to be a death trap. This seemed like the opportunity for escape he searched for. A way to get off work and...that woman.

Ace

"Hey man. I just saw this letter addressed to you." Ace's roommate addressed him as he walked in. A pink card sat on his desk with three names written in cursive handwriting at the top.

"Hmm. I haven't told anyone my full name here." Ace mumbled, eager to go through the letter. Someone who knew all three names other than him had to know something else about him.

"Hey dude, is that your name written there?" His roommate asked, on the brink of laughter.

Ace scoffed, "No, it's yours." The intent to shut him up worked. He shook his head and stuffed the letter into the only bag he owned, a red gym bag. Maybe it was time to leave, there was nothing more to find here.

Chiara

"Hand me the car keys, light bulb." Her dad smiled mischievously as he got into the driver's side.

Rolling her eyes, Chiara gave it up. "Dad, you know I'm supposed to drive today." She complained, struggling to strap on the seatbelt.

"What kind of dad leaves his daughter to drive the car while he sits comfortably?" He asked her, ruffling her hair before glancing down to make sure the seatbelt was on.

She faced the window nearest to her and sighed. Would her dad ever get over his fear and live life without trying to constantly remember what happened? Not likely. As the car started, she shifted her focus. A small paper was neatly folded and squeezed through the small opening her dad had left in the window. Quickly, Chiara shoved the letter into her pocket and smiled. It had to be from Leo. She could try to read it now, but then she would miss her chance to cajole her father into making dinner. She would get her alone moment later, she thought and fixed a smile as she turned to her father.

Femi

Femi stomped out of the class, anger flooding his veins. Who was he to talk to him like that?

"Racist bastard." He muttered, marching through the hall, silently daring anyone to come near him or be in this way.

Someone dared. A guy stumbled into his path muttering 'sorry' as he walked past, nearly causing Femi to fall. His books weren't so lucky, they lay on the ground with their pages open like mouths screaming for vengeance. He turned back ready to pour out all his anger, but his attacker was gone. In the vast sea of bodies, Femi couldn't spot who had assaulted his books and the image of the guy was already beginning to fade away. He bent down and silently retrieved his books, closing them one after the other. Under the last one was a pink note addressed to him, it seemed the guy had intentionally bumped into him.

Curious, he picked it up and read through. The corners of Femi's mouth stretched to the limits before he got to the end.

"I'm so going for this. It will probably be like Escape room two." He said, all traces of his anger gone.

Priya

"Priya, you don't really have a choice." Her sister busied herself with immersing a tea bag into her favourite cup.

"Ashanti, I actually do. I can't and won't be forced to marry a guy I haven't even seen." Priya replied.

"You know Mother will force you either way. She will simply frustrate you until you give up." She dropped the cup on her sister's bed, lightly touching her arm.

Priya drew her hands away. "I'm sorry, but I won't be like you. I'll find a way, trust me I will." She whispered defiantly, covering her head with a blanket.

Ashanti shook her head and left the room, the hot tea still on the bed. Priya knew her sister thought they had defeated her, but no one knew about the letter and they wouldn't, until it was too late.

********

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS CHAPTER?
DO SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS.

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS CHAPTER? DO SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS