02|Aftermath of Sokovia

Start from the beginning

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." He placed a thick document on the desk and passed it to Wanda "The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary." Secretary Ross explained as Wanda looked at the document in her hands.

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Steve argued "Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" Secretary Ross countered as Freya frowned "Since when do my brother and I answer to you?" Ross's eyes met Freya's "Since you joined the Avengers. We let you take Loki and put him on trial, the governments expect something in return. He would have gotten a death sentence."

Freya didn't respond and looked back down as both Rhodey and Sam reacted "Don't talk to her like that."

Secretary Ross moved on "If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes, you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground." The man argued as Rhody basically scoffed "So, there are contingencies." Secretary Ross ignored the man "Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords. Talk it over."

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Natasha asked, wanting to know what was at stake "Then you retire."

Bucky sat on his thin mattress, the faint yellow glow of the lamp illuminated his notebook enough for him to see the pages that were completely filled with memories, letters and pictures of various people. His back rested against the wall, making sure that he wasn't visible from the window as he scribbled down a new memory of Freya.

The white haired woman had always been lingering in the back of his mind, and she had been resurfacing more and more. The memories with her making him wake up in the middle of the night or stop walking in the middle of the street. After that he had started looking her up, finding more and more information on the white haired woman.

Even finding out some of his trigger words had been linked back to her. Seventeen, he was seventeen when he met her. Longing, he had longed for her after her disappearance. Benign, she was kind and gentle towards him. Homecoming, she had been his homecoming date.

The Avengers were gathered in the headquarters.

Steve was sat close to the coffee table as he studied the Accords, while Rhodey and Sam argued behind him.

"Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honor, which is one more than you have." Rhody said "So let's say we agree to this thing. How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?" Sam argued "117 countries want to sign this. 117, Sam, and you're just like, 'No, that's cool. We got it.'" Rhody reasoned as Sam practically waved him off "How long are you going to play both sides?"

"I have an equation." Vision interjected before Rhody could reply, making multiple Avengers look at the robot "Oh, this will clear it up." Sarcasm evident in Sam's voice "In the eight years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. And during the same period, the number of potentially world ending events has risen at a commensurate rate."

"Are you saying it's our fault?" Steve frowned at Vision who hesitated for a second before he replied, trying to make the man out of time understand his point "I'm saying there may be a causality. Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict breeds catastrophe. Oversight . . . oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand."