54- They Could Never Hurt Me

Unknown's POV

"Is it done?" Kazimir questioned.

"Yes," I answered. I felt guilty for my actions in the beginning, but now I was ready for this. I was ready to enact my revenge.

"When is it happening?"

"This coming Saturday. Don't worry. Everything will fall into place," I reassured.

"It had better. Or else it will all come down on you."

"It will," I grit out. I was tired of being threatened when I was the one coordinating this whole thing.

"Then we should have no problem," he said.

"Exactly."

Arsenio's POV

"I'll be back soon, Gattina," I said after kissing her sweet lips.

"Okay. I'll be waiting. Tell Jess I said hi!" Luckily, she hadn't been feeling well for the past two days because of her morning sickness, so I didn't have to tell her that she couldn't come with me. I simply suggested that she stay home because she wasn't feeling well and she didn't put up much of a fight.

"I will. I love you, goodbye."

"Love you. Bye!"

I walked out of the house and locked the door behind me. On my way to Ermanno's, I stopped at a little candy shop and bought Eloise some of her favorite chocolates. Hopefully, those would cheer her up when I got back.

When I pulled up to Ermanno and Jess's house, no cars were in the driveway and no one was standing outside. I assumed that Jess's car was in the garage and that she was inside the house. It was a scene of nothing out of the ordinary. There was no immediate or obvious danger.

But something just didn't seem... right. There was a strange, uncanny feeling, a feeling I felt when I knew I was about to walk into a combative situation. 

I reached over and grabbed my pistol from the glove box and shoved it into my holster, tucking my shirt over it.

The uncomfortable feeling I had remained as I walked up the stone pathway to the front door. And it didn't go away when I knocked on the door. And it didn't go away when Jess opened the door with an unusually large, unnatural smile.

I looked down at her with suspicion. Her odd smile was alarming, especially combined with the feeling I had that something was not right. As she opened up the door further, I reached behind my back and began to discreetly pull out the gun as I quickly searched the small vicinity around her.

I was stopped when pain erupted in my gut.

I had been shot.

This had been a setup.

Immediately, I understood the situation. She betrayed me, Eloise, and Ermanno, and she betrayed the entire family.

She had been confiding with the Russians, spreading our information, and putting our people in danger.

This had to have been associated with the Russian family, there was no other explanation.