CODE SIREN

Title: "Code Siren"
Author: "Alex"
Source: "Snarled Something Scary"
Type: TRUE STORY!!

(Alex's father served in the Bulgarian people's army in 1982)

Vasle was 18 when he was sent for two years of military service in 1982. He was dispatched along the border post in 1989 between Bulgaria and Turkey. His job was to be a border guard and his main duty was to patrol the electrified border fence to make sure nobody left the country during a time of severe restriction of movement under the communist government.

His orders were to shoot on sight.

No exceptions.

One night, he and his best friend Ivan were patrolling the area as usual with their dog. Ivan was a far senior soldier much larger and stronger than Vasle with a kind of look only veteran soldiers had.

He described the night as still and cold, and the moon shone through the clear sky during the night. There was a light breeze that whistled faintly across the open plain between the two borders.

All was well and normal and their routine patrol was near their end. Much like most days, nothing seemed out of the ordinary, and the two men started to make their way back to the camp. They were almost back to base, when all of a sudden, Ivan stopped.

He turned his head to the darkness.

"Do you hear that?" He asked Vasle.

There was a faint angelic voice coming from the distance.

Vasle stopped to listen and his eyes widened as he heard what sounded like...singing.

The two men listened and listened, as the singing continued and seemingly became louder.

Vasle stood still, yearning to know who was singing so beautifully.

Then, their dogs started to growl softly at first, until it started barking furiously as the singing came closer and closer.

Ivan grabbed Vasle.

"Listen to me very carefully," he said sternly, "I need you to run back to Checkpoint B, get on the radio, and call for reinforcements. - Tell them; 'Code Siren', they'll know what you mean." He demanded.

"What? - Why?" Vasle blurted.

"Do as I say, do you understand? All this over-some singing? - This isn't the Turks or the Americans. This is much more serious than that, NOW GO!" Ivan demanded coldly.

By this time, the singing had become so loud that it was almost unnerving. It was as if the source was as close as a few metres away.

Vasle looked around and panicked, gripping his rifle in fear and confusion. Vasle started to run, he knew that the checkpoint was less than a kilometre away and that he could make it there in a few minutes if he ran for it.

Behind him, he heard the barking and the growling of their dog change into whimpers and cries - which were followed by bursts of automatic fire that ripped through the night air.

The fire sustained, until he had finally reached the radio at the checkpoint.

"Checkpoint B to base? Checkpoint B to base, we have a situation here, Code Siren! I repeat Code Siren! Requesting immediate reinforcements, over." Vasle spoke into the Checkpoint's phone-box.

"Base Checkpoint B, the reinforcements are in bound, what is your status update? Over." Replied a woman's voice at the other end.

The gunfire continued followed by a scream that sounded like it was from a young woman in pain.

Vasle stood petrified his hands trembling, "I-I- I don't know, my comrade is currently engaging, I don't know what's going on," He shouted into the radio, desperately hoping for some help.

A cracked response from the radio came.

Vasle struggled to make out the words as the gunfire carried on in the distance.

Then, a man screamed, and he gunfire stopped.

Total silence.

As the broken message from the radio became nothing but static.

Vasle began to panic, wondering weather to help Ivan, or to wait for reinforcements. He stood there, and listened carefully, but he heard nothing.

Only silence.

And suddenly, the singing.

The most beautiful sound he'd ever heard in his life.

Vasle jumped, shouldering his rifle and aiming into he darkness, frantically, he aimed his rifle in different directions as the singing grew louder and louder.

His breathing became faster and disjointed. His heart pounded like a drum.

The singing came closer and closer filling his eardrums until...nothing.

Silence again.

He looked around and listened, trying to see or hear anything he could.

Then he saw it.

A woman, with blonde hair that glistened under the moonlight, wearing a white dress, stood no less than 300 metres in front of him.

She was...unbelievingly beautiful.

Vasle flinched, bending down on one knee and aiming his rifle. The woman remained still, evidentially not fazed by his threats.

"Hey! You! Stop there or I'll shoot!" He warned.

No response.

He wondered; why would she be here? By herself? On the border? Was she a spy! Or a defector?

Maybe I should go over there and talk to her... NO!

Her eyes glowed in the shadows like a cat's in the night, the eerie yellow hue was both terrifying and alluring.

Maybe she needs my help... NO!

He shouted at her; "Last chance! You surrender or you die!"

Again no response.

He opened fire.

A full magazine later, and the woman was lying on the floor, dead.

He went to examine the corpse, just as reinforcements arrived.

But when he got up close, there was no body. No blood-trails no drag-marks, nothing.

Where did she go?

Neither Ivan nor the dog's bodies where found either. What was found, were bullet casings and Ivan's rifle found in the mud. The next morning, Vasle told his mother about what had happened.

She gave him a tight hug.

"Do you realise how much danger you were in? You encountered a samadeva."

According to his mother, they are ancient Bulgarian myths that kill men with their enticing singing voices. Once they lock them in a trance; they take them away as slaves and torture them to death.

"Had it not been for Ivan, you would not have lived to tell this tale. Oh, I'm so happy you're safe!" His mother said, hugging her son that went to war only to encounter a murderous ghost.