SATELLITE STALKER

Title: "Satellite Images"
Author: "Creepypasta"
Source: "Snarled something scary"
Type: Non-Fiction - could be true, uncertain

A few years ago, I was in a car accident. - Since then, I didn't really leave the house that often. It's difficult, and the idea of seeing a car drive by makes me feel light headed. So, my friend showed me google maps.

I was fascinated by the fact that I could see all over the world. Almost like being there. I became instantly hooked.

I virtually walked down streets in China, Japan, Germany, England. So many places.

The faces of people were always blurred to protect their privacy. But it was still enjoyable to see them out there, enjoying their life...walking like it was no big deal.

One day, when I was looking around Tokyo, I spotted a woman waring bright red trainers; the same kind I was wearing. "She must have good taste," I laughed.

I zoomed in closer and noticed her black pants, her grey bag she carried over her black-hooded jacket. She was walking in a relaxed manner; one hand casually trailing the wall beside her. I bet if I could have seen her face, she'd be smiling.

I began to feel a little sad.

I wished that I could be there, walking so carefree with her. That wouldn't happen, though. 'Till I died, I was stuck in this chair (wheelchair).

I sighed and zoomed out of Tokyo. I turned off the computer and went off to bed.

I got up early and decided to look around Paris. I randomly zoomed to an area and saw a street lined with old-brick buildings, a few small shops and an old tan-bricked church. I spun the view around a few more times and saw something peculiar.

- Sitting at the bench at the bus stop were two people. One of them was a young woman with her feet stuck in front of her in a relaxed manner, she was wearing those same red sneakers. I was startled for a moment as I realised she was wearing a black-hooded jacket too. Her dark brown hair was tied loosely behind her head. Her grey bag sat on the bench beside her.

This is crazy, I thought.

It can't possibly be the same woman. -This is a different country, different continent even.

How could it be her?

This is stupid, It wasn't as if these were live photographs. They were taken ahead of time, and then stored. It's not like she was in two places at once.

She could just be a traveller.

Besides, without seeing her face it was impossible to tell it was the same person. Brown is a common hair colour.

Those red sneakers were something I purchased online. I'm sure a million other people had it too.

I shook my head and went to fix some lunch.

When I got back online, I decided to go and look at Berlin.

I picked a random street, as usual. It looked pretty empty. I was disappoint, and moved my curser to look away, when something caught my eye. I turned the view, and there they were.
- Those damn red sneakers!

I stared in shock.

How could she be there too?

Even if she was travelling there's no way I'd find her every time.

Even finding her in Paris was one heck of a coincidence - but this? Was this some kind of joke? Had google decided to play a prank on its users that used its product so much?

I did a quick search looking for a woman that shows up like magic.

There's nothing.

I look through articles on strange things you can see on google maps, but none of them mentioned the woman that travels the world with you.

Had my self-imposed isolation driven me mad? Had I became so lonely that I'd created an hallucination for myself?

A send a text message to a friend, asking them to look at the locations.

I asked him if he saw the same woman.
Then I waited; hands sweating, heart thumping in my chest.

I jumped when my phone beeped.

The text from my friend red; "I see the lady you're talking about in Berlin, I didn't see her in Paris or Tokyo. Is this some kind of game, or what?"

I didn't respond, instead I returned to the locations in Tokyo and Paris.

There she was!

I shivered. Who was she? What was happening?

I switched to Sydney, then London, Zurich, Hong-Kong, Milan - She was everywhere I looked!

As I switched from location to location, she became closer and closer to looking at me directly with her blurred out face.

My heart felt like a terrified bird, slamming around my chest.

Who was she? Was she following me? Was I following her?

I wish I could see the expression on her face, know what she saw when she looked back at me.

I wanted to get out of the chair and run.

Why was it that the only thing that made me feel free again was the only thing that made me feel more trapped?

I typed in the name of my town and zoomed into a random street, a couple of miles away from my house.

The gates of the city park was shown in the clarity of daylight, despite it being night here.

There she was. - THERE. SHE. WAS. - She was only a few miles away from my house!

She was near me. And she was watching me. She was coming for me.

What did she want?

I typed in the name of the apartment complex where I lived, the parking lot was full of cars, and there were a few blurred out children in the playground.

I searched everywhere for her - she wasn't in the parking lot or on the side-walks, not hiding in between the buildings or standing in the playground.

I even scanned each of the cars, behind  the bushes, and each of the blurred windows.

She wasn't there.

I curled tightly around myself, and lay my head on my desk.

This place was safe. I didn't leave the apartment anyway.

I would never use google maps ever again - I would never see her ever again. She could stay at the park for all I cared.

"I'm safe," I said to myself in a whisper.

It felt good to hear it out loud.

"I'm safe."

Suddenly there was a knock at my apartment door. I had a camera at my computer that showed who was at the front door.

As I went to turn on the security feed, I realised the last of Google's images that I'd seen had only shown the outside of the building.

Just the outside.

I looked at the screen and saw a woman in black pants, a black hooded-jacket and was carrying a grey bag with a shoulder strap.

Of course, there were those red sneakers.

She looked directly at the camera, her face still a complete blur, as she reached her hand out in front of her.

That's when I heard the front door slowly open.