3. Black Cat

Namjoon slowly opens the door of his bedroom. He peeks through it and glances around the hallway. Nobody is there apart from a maid cleaning some vases far ahead.

"Good," Namjoon nods to himself and slowly steps out.

After Namjoon silently closes the door, he clutches his backpack behind him and slowly walks across the hallway. He becomes particularly aware when he passes by his father's bedroom.

For a moment, Namjoon actually expects his father to have some sixth sense and somehow sense him from inside. Having him home is rare— but whenever he is home, the presence is overwhelming. He's sure all the staff of the mansion feel the same.

As much as Namjoon wants to tell his father he's going out, he knows that there's a big possibility of him being told to stay indoors. He gets it, sure, overprotective parents and all that.

But Namjoon's late. Jungkook's been waiting for half an hour. So he turns away from his father's room and sprints his way to the stairs.

"Jungkook is going to kill me," Namjoon whispers as he jumps down some of the steps.

The moment Namjoon reaches the last step on the stairs, he hears a familiar voice clear his throat behind him. He turns around and sees his father standing there with both hands behind his back.

Namjoon almost looses his composure. He takes a deep breath and stands straight. "Good morning, father."

"Good morning, Namjoon," Mr. Kim says, his eyes glaring from behind the lens of his glasses. "Where do you plan on going this early in the morning?"

"Meeting up with Jungkook," Namjoon says with a nod. "Sorry that I failed to inform you, father. I assumed you were busy."

Mr. Kim sighs. "You're my son. Me being busy doesn't mean I don't have time to listen."

Namjoon almost says that his father's words contrast his experiences but decides to swallow it down like a fat pill. Then he realizes that his words are different, he isn't scolding him for leaving like usual.

"I'm sorry, father," Namjoon bows a bit and bites his trembling lower lip.

Mr. Kim sighs loudly. Namjoon expects him, rather wants his father to approach him in what can at least be a showcase of affection. But he just stays there atop the stairs, eyes still glaring down at him like he was someone small.

Namjoon hates that look, especially because he receives it from his father on a daily basis.

"Be back by noon," His father says simply and walks away.

Despite the anger, Namjoon is at least glad that his father doesn't say anything about him going out to meet Jungkook, unlike the last time when he actually had the guts to insult him. He steps outside and sees his driver and limousine waiting by the fountain.

Namjoon honestly wants to walk but that means spending less time with Jungkook, especially with the tight schedule given by his father. He silently sits in the car as the limousine drives out of their grounds and to the streets.

When Namjoon's phone vibrates and he sees Jungkook's name on the screen, his expression lights up.

"Hey, Jungkook!," Namjoon beams with a grin.

"Don't hey Jungkook me!," Jungkook whines from the other side of the line. "You're late! Again!"

Namjoon frowns and looks down at his wristwatch. Indeed, he's an hour late. He sighs. "Sorry, man. Bumped into my father."

"Oh damn," Jungkook speaks with a completely different tone. "Wait, he actually let you meet me?"

"Yeah, he did."