Killing

Just another reminder, I don't own death note.

Otherwise remaining motionless as of he'd attack me dare I move, I shook my head. "That can't be true. My father died trying to *capture* Kira, not because he was."

The shinigami frowned slightly. "That's the lie they've told you? You've noticed how Matsuda's been distant with you your entire life?"

I nodded and waited for him to continue. My father, the mass murderer Kira? It didn't make sense. I had been told I was just like him, and I hadn't killed anyone or even thought of it. That is, until today.

"He was there when the God Kira was defeated. Ask him sometime." he spat.

I scowled. Matsuda knew? Why wouldn't he tell me! I have a right to know that my father was Kira. If the shinigami had never told me, would I have ever found out?

"Er, Dad," I began awkwardly. Saying Dad was jut too foreign for me to ever get used to it.

"Light, if it's easier." he stated, reading my mind.

Gosh, this is all too surreal. Me talking to my dead father who used to be Kira who's now a shinigami? This is insane.

"Light," I smiled. "So being Kira...you won't let me lose, right? I don't want to die. At least not yet."

He shook his head. "I can promise you with the two of our minds working together, it will most likely not happen." then through the corner of my eye, I saw him limp through the doorway.

I skimmed through the rules of the Death Note, until I caught sight of the word "eyes". It seemed out of place in the book. I turned back a few pages until I found where I had seen the word;

* If you have traded the eye power of a god of death, you will lose the eye power as well as the memory of the Death Note, once you lose its ownership. At the same time, the remaining half of your life will not be restored.

"Light?" I said, looking up from the notebook. When he wasn't there, I asked again. "Light?"

Then he floated through the door, with an apple in hand and stood before me.

"Now I can fully understand how much my shinigami loved apples," he mused. Light then turned towards me. "Yes?"

I pointed down to the rule. "I don't quite understand this one." I held the notebook towards him and he read it quickly before explaining.

"The eye trade? You use half your lifespan, your time on earth, to gain the eyes of a shinigami, which will allow you to see how long someone will live along with their first and last names."

"Did you make the eye trade?" I wondered aloud.

Light chuckled slightly. "No, but Misa did."

Once again I say statue still. "Misa, meaning, my mother?" Alright, this guy's full of shit now.

He explained how there had been two Kira's, him and Mom, and that she made the eye trade and was a great use to him, like finding out L's real name. Light also told me how he along with Matsuda and others worked alongside the detective, that he was always trying to curve L's suspicions away from him. He also told me about his battle with L's successors, Mello and Near, the latter whom he killed while being a shinigami.

"So, me being Kira...how should I do it? I mean, where should I begin?" I asked, turning to the first empty page in the Death Note.

"Try to make it as untraceable as possible. Kill 24 people a day, one from a different country at the beginning of every hour. For example, 1:00 kill a criminal from America, 2:00 kill a criminal from India, and so on."

I bit the inside of my cheek. "Should I have the countries in alphabetical order?"

The shinigami shook his head. "It's not needed, and will just cause more work for you. But you could always do it for added security if you'd like."

Where am I going to hide this thing? I thought to myself, looking around the room.

Once again reading my mind, Light spoke. "I kept my notebook hidden here," he said going over to the desk. Light took the in cartridge out of a ballpoint pen and slid it into an invisible hole underneath the desk. He then pulled open the drawer and slid it farther in, making a platform rise within it.

"That's clever." I said, still caught up in the way I'd kill the criminals. Wow, I'd never thought I'd ever actually think that.

Light's face was unemotional as he continued to speak of the pattern. "You could search name's right now and pre-set their time of death now, if you'd like. Find a criminal, and write down-lets start at 12o'clock midnight-the time of death."

I walked over to the bookshelf and pulled out an atlas, starting with the first country alphabetically. Bringing the atlas with me, in case I forgot it's name, I looked up criminals from that country, and wrote down his name, along with the time.

Staring awed and wide-eyed at the notebook, I whispered. "I've just killed my first criminal." Then, I felt my eyes turn dark and my mouth formed into an evil grin.