Cousins

After a few minutes of little effort and a couple equations typed into my high tech calculator, my math homework as done and I was free to do as I pleased. The small television sitting on the corner of my desk was looking very entertaining...but I did have more studying to do, learning English was something I had been putting off for a while.

Despite the to do list that never seemed to end, I flipped on the TV and watched the current channel. Which happened to be one of my favorites, the news. The only thing that really peaked my interest was what people were doing with their lives. Someone killed another person, stole, abused. It's just not right, these sort of things shouldn't be happening.

"Yesterday a body was found at the bottom of a local lake. Authorities are suspecting that it is he body of 17 year old Yumi Takahashi-" I flipped the small device off before they could continue. Yumi was one of my classmates, we ha the same math class. She and I would chat and joke around sometimes met each other after class. Yumi was probably one of the closest friends I'd ever had. When she went missing, I knew I wouldn't be seeing her again.

At school I was looked up to, I usually "hung out" with the "nerdy" or "popular" people. I didn't really enjoy the company of most people, only those who shared the same ideals and outlooks. Never had I invited someone over, or had I been to someone's house. Sachiko had never been worried for me, which was both a relief and discomfort.

There was a small knock on my door and Grandma Sachiko entered my room. "Emiko, dinner will be done soon. Please finish up what you are doing and come down. Sayu and Matsuda will be joining us."

"I will be down momentarily." I replied as she left the room. Sayu and Matsuda had been joining us for meals more and more frequently. There wasn't anything wrong, just a bit unusual because a few weeks ago, all we got were calls.

From downstairs I heard the front door open and the murmur of familiar voices downstairs. I changed out of my school outfit and into some more casual clothes. As I walked out int the hallway, I caught a glimpse of me in the mirror. I saw the flash of my eyes looking into it, and looked at my hair. Usually I liked it just below my shoulders, but now I had grown and was to the bottom of my shoulder blades.

When I got to the bottom of the stairs I saw Sayu chatting with grandma eagerly, her hand clutched to Matsuda's. He seemed really uncomfortable, and was constantly running his fingers through his hair and agreeing nervously to grandma and Sayu. I stood silently for a few minutes until I caught Sayu's eye.

"Emiko!" She smiled. We walked towards each other and hugged quickly. She pecked my cheek and looked back at me. "Gosh, you seem to change so much everytime I see you!"

I grinned and nodded, forcing the smile onto my face. Matsuda went and sat down silently at the table, leaving a spot next to him for Sayu. Deciding to sit down, I picked the chair diagonal from him. Sayu followed Sachiko into the kitchen, chatting as they went in.

"Why are you so uneasy?" I asked him as I twirled my fork on the white porcelain plate.

"I think Sayu will tell you in a bit." he half smiled. We waited patiently, sitting in silence except for the two woman's muffled voices.

Matsuda always seemed to always try and stay away from me, and it used to tick me off. Maybe he felt awkward talking to one of his dead friend's daughter. I don't know, but there was always this odd feeling between us that didn't allow us to speak in real conversations.

Just then my aunt and grandmother walked out of the kitchen. "Do you think 28's a little too old?" Sayu asked, sounding worried as she carried a steaming pot and set it down on the hot pad.

"No, of course not." Sachiko assured her as she set down a peach colored bowl next to the pot. Sayu sat down, surprisingly, next to me and in front of of Matsuda while Grandma sat next to him.

Sayu was wearing a long, lavender top and white capri's. On her lower stomach there was a small bump, almost concealed by the ruffles of her shirt. Almost. So I guess in a few months I'll have a cousin.

Matsuda looked up at her, and then quickly over at me, and back to her. Sayu closed her eyes and then looked at him. They were having an entire conversation without words.

Sachiko cleared her throat and smiled. "What's everyone waiting for? The food is all ready."

Taking that as permission, we all dug into the food, a stew with noodles and some steamed vegetables. I blew on my spoonful of the murky brown broth and tried thinking of what everyone else was thinking. Grandma about Sayu's baby, Matsuda about Sayu, and Sayu about me.

"So, Sayu. Do you know if it will be a boy or girl yet?" I asked, still looking down at my untensil.

Everyone looked at me. "Um, we don't actually." she frowned, looking to Matsuda as she spoke.

I sighed and poured the stew into my mouth. When I swallowed I looked back to Sayu. "Have you thought about names?"

Matsuda mixed his peas around on his plate and answered, "We were thinking, Hide for a girl, you know, like that old actor you used to like?" he finished by pointing his spoon at his wife.

She laughed and continued, "And Ryuzaki for a boy."

Grandma was listening in, nodding and 'mmm'ing at the names she liked with a mouth full of food.

"I think I'm going to excuse myself," I said standing up and grabbing my plate as I did. "I'm not very hungry."

Grandma nodded. "Go right ahead."

As I walked into the kitchen, I felt like someone was watching me, as I'd they were standing just a few feet behind me. I glanced behind my shoulder quickly, dunking the dishes into the warm sudsy water as I did. Of course there was nothing there, Emi. It was just you tricking yourself. And that's all it ever could be, right?